PDA

View Full Version : Sambo black belt in Alabama claims Lavar Johnson ranked him

Pages : [1] 2

Andrew WA
10/16/2016 1:02pm,
There is a guy in Alabama who claims to be a black belt in BJJ, Sambo, Karate, Taekwondo and a MMA black belt. He claims Lavar Johnson ranked him.

In light of Lavar Johnson going to prison for beating up his girlfriend I would like to know did he rank people in Sambo? I remember a looong time ago and even tried to use the search function, that there was someone who claimed Lavar Johnson openly sold fake Sambo black belts to people.

I also know there are no black belt ranks in Sambo. There are no belt ranks.

Any info would be appreciated.

Andrew WA
10/16/2016 1:11pm,
Also, he started a gym that failed which was under the International Mixed Martial Arts Association which is run by a Mike Govich. He has like 25 martial arts certifications you can buy from him. I believe he is a fraud.

Omega Supreme
10/16/2016 3:59pm,
There is a guy in Alabama who claims to be a black belt in BJJ, Sambo, Karate, Taekwondo and a MMA black belt. He claims Lavar Johnson ranked him.

In light of Lavar Johnson going to prison for beating up his girlfriend I would like to know did he rank people in Sambo? I remember a looong time ago and even tried to use the search function, that there was someone who claimed Lavar Johnson openly sold fake Sambo black belts to people.

I also know there are no black belt ranks in Sambo. There are no belt ranks.

Any info would be appreciated.I can't tell you one way or the other but there is belt ranks in SAMBO. Most of them are identified as school ranks but they are out there.

Andrew WA
10/23/2016 8:46am,
I must apologize. He somehow is linked with Houston Alexander or he is friends with him. Alexander has a similar facial feature and look toe Lavar Jonson so I got the names mixed up.

Also his Sombo black belt "Yes it is spelled weird like that" was from Johnathan Ivey. And his gym was a member of that Govitch group, the IMMAA and is a 3rd degree black belt in MMA and stuff like that. Apparently this guy was also ranking kids in styles such as Chute Jitsu and other weird styles. Like black belts in random stuff.

Anyway had to clear it up and I was not sure if I could edit the subject.

Michael Tzadok
10/23/2016 9:11am,
I must apologize. He somehow is linked with Houston Alexander or he is friends with him. Alexander has a similar facial feature and look toe Lavar Jonson so I got the names mixed up.

Also his Sombo black belt "Yes it is spelled weird like that" was from Johnathan Ivey. And his gym was a member of that Govitch group, the IMMAA and is a 3rd degree black belt in MMA and stuff like that. Apparently this guy was also ranking kids in styles such as Chute Jitsu and other weird styles. Like black belts in random stuff.

Anyway had to clear it up and I was not sure if I could edit the subject.

Well, since Sambo is a transliterated Russian word, there are a couple of different transliterations out there. Some spell it Sombo, some Sambo... Some schools and lineages have a belt system some don't. In the Russian system you used to have instructor certification and competition ranking. Meaning you could be certified as a great coach but not a great competitor and you could be a great competitor but have no license to coach. Then the Soviet Union fell and it all got even more mixed up.

Likewise with MMA. Some schools have started to give belts and belt ranking.

If you want to know if he claims are legit, contact those that he claims to have gotten them from.

Omega Supreme
10/23/2016 6:12pm,
Well, since Sambo is a transliterated Russian word, there are a couple of different transliterations out there. Some spell it Sombo, some Sambo... Some schools and lineages have a belt system some don't. In the Russian system you used to have instructor certification and competition ranking. Meaning you could be certified as a great coach but not a great competitor and you could be a great competitor but have no license to coach. Then the Soviet Union fell and it all got even more mixed up.

Likewise with MMA. Some schools have started to give belts and belt ranking.

If you want to know if he claims are legit, contact those that he claims to have gotten them from.

You forgot CAMBO, COMBO.

Andrew WA
10/24/2016 4:28pm,
Thanks for the information about the spelling and information about Russia and certifications.

I kind of think he just bought the rank and has never taken a real Sambo class in his life and he also was given an easy BJJ black belt rank since a white belt tapped him out multiple times. Very confusing.

Nutcracker, sweet
10/24/2016 4:41pm,
he also was given an easy BJJ black belt rank since a white belt tapped him out multiple times. Very confusing.

I let white belts tap me out all the time. Should I give my blue belt back?

WFMurphyPhD
10/24/2016 4:44pm,
I let white belts tap me out all the time. Should I give my blue belt back?

White belts are friends, not food. Me too.

Past one's twenties, the whole never tap thing gets a little silly.

Andrew WA
10/24/2016 4:45pm,
Except he wasn't letting the white belt tap him out...that is the problem. I am also a white belt and I know my instructor sometimes gives me good positions and allows me to work subs. But this was not the case. Anyway thanks for the help.

Michael Tzadok
10/24/2016 4:48pm,
Except he wasn't letting the white belt tap him out...that is the problem. I am also a white belt and I know my instructor sometimes gives me good positions and allows me to work subs. But this was not the case. Anyway thanks for the help.

Proof or it didn't happen.

Nutcracker, sweet
10/24/2016 4:50pm,

The logical question, here, is this: assuming that all belts in question are legit, and you are a white belt, how could you possibly know if your instructor was faking it or really getting his ass beat? Also, how do you know your standing in the spectrum of skills with relation to the white belt who tapped him?

xjej
10/28/2016 7:09pm,
Forgive me, am I understanding correctly that sambo adopts a belt system in states?

Omega Supreme
10/28/2016 7:19pm,
Forgive me, am I understanding correctly that sambo adopts a belt system in states?

No exactly. Back in the early 90's SAMBO was being introduced to the world and they invited hundreds of coaches to come learn and adopt the system. As a way to make SAMBO more universally adoptable they created a belt system. Those coaches went back to their respective countries with those belt ranking systems. Without full support though the system quickly became corrupt, ambiguous, or simply in house systems. So yes, there are SAMBO black belts out there and they were originally proposed by the Russian SAMBO groups themselves.

WFMurphyPhD
10/28/2016 8:23pm,
No exactly. Back in the early 90's SAMBO was being introduced to the world and they invited hundreds of coaches to come learn and adopt the system. As a way to make SAMBO more universally adoptable they created a belt system. Those coaches went back to their respective countries with those belt ranking systems. Without full support though the system quickly became corrupt, ambiguous, or simply in house systems. So yes, there are SAMBO black belts out there and they were originally proposed by the Russian SAMBO groups themselves.

In the 1980's my wrestling coaches cross competed in Sambo.
"Russian wrestlers who wear jackets and will break your legs".
Although, I do not mean to contradict your real point.
Just to point out to the room what you already know.
Sambo has been around off and on,
even in the United States for a while
as a niche grappling sport.

Michael Tzadok
10/29/2016 11:05am,

Pretty much what Omega said above. The tradtional Russian system separated teaching rank from ability rank(more or less) as you could be rated to instruct say the Russian national team, but your own competitive rank would be as a Sportsman 1st class(won some local comps but nothing worth writing home about). I think this was mostly a Soviet/Russian/Eastern Bloc thing, where coaches/instructors didn't have to be great athletes they just had to know how to make great athletes.

Now Sambo in Russia was by no means a unified thing when the Soviet Union dissolved, rather there were various groups all vying for a slice of the capitalist pie. Some adopted belt systems as many Americans in the 90's didn't understand how a martial art could exist without a belt system. Likewise some didn't adopt belt but tried to keep the Russian system. It ended up being a veritable hodgepodge and Sambo in the US was pretty much done a disservice because of it.