PDA

View Full Version : How to identify a good judo school/Help me find one near Boston?

Morik
10/04/2016 5:51pm,
There are 2 near me: Tohoku (can't link not enough posts) & Newton Judo Club. Both should be findable with a quick google serach. (They are near Boston.)

Tohoku is probably slightly more convenient in terms of class times and meets more often.
Though if Newton is as small as the website claims maybe I'd get more instructor attention there? (Also wouldn't have to maintain USJF membership, and on top of that its 75% of the cost of Tohoku per month anyway, but the cost isn't really a concern for me.)

I plan to grab a class at both to check them out, but am not sure what to look for.

BKR
10/07/2016 1:28am,
I'd give the both a try. Tohoku has a lot more students,which means more people to train with, and appears to be a bit more "main stream" than Newton.

But I'd lean towards Tohuko...

Lanner Hunt
10/07/2016 4:35am,
There are 2 near me: Tohoku (can't link not enough posts) & Newton Judo Club. Both should be findable with a quick google serach. (They are near Boston.)

Tohoku is probably slightly more convenient in terms of class times and meets more often.
Though if Newton is as small as the website claims maybe I'd get more instructor attention there? (Also wouldn't have to maintain USJF membership, and on top of that its 75% of the cost of Tohoku per month anyway, but the cost isn't really a concern for me.)

I plan to grab a class at both to check them out, but am not sure what to look for.

One on one is good, varying depending on your learning style. For judo however, I feel the big classes are usually a bigger plus. While it'll be hard at first, your judo will be better and overall be much stronger if you've got a lot of different sizes and body types you're practicing against.

For what it's worth, a lot of the serious competitors in the Denver area tend to visit schools outside their own pretty frequently, and there's a lot of good will and camaraderie.

Edit: Also, you don't have to get your USJF membership immediately, but whichever school you choose is going to have you get one eventually; you'll need it to compete after all.