PDA

View Full Version : so Im on new sleep meds and the side effects include some pretty unhelpful things

Pages : [1] 2 3

kimjonghng
9/12/2016 2:56pm,
Ok so Im now on mirtazapine, and the side effects include weight gain and increased appetite. I've noticed since Im on them I'm emotionally better and I'm actually functioning during the day now, but I've definitely put on weight and I can't for the life of me seem to stop, even with the amount of exercise Im doing.

Monday: Leg day (heavy squats, leg curls, leg extensions, crunches, 2-4km run on treadmill, calesthenics to finish). Afternoon is kickboxing (2 hours)

Tuesday: Back day (deadlifts, decline stiff leg deadlifts, rowing, lateral pulldowns, crunches, sprints). Afternoon is Goju Ryu Karate (1 hour)

Wednesday: Evening Judo class followed by upper body (bench, close grip bench, press ups, overhead press, tricep dips, 2km on treadmill. Followed by 30-45 mins in steam room.

Thursday: Evening of MMA (2 hours)

Friday: No martial arts classes on currently (Judo club may be adding another) so usually more time spent in the gym working arms, lunges and back again.

Saturday: I usually use saturdays to go train in manchester on a one to one basis with an escrima/silat/kung fu guy, it's pretty low intensity compared to my normal days.

Sunday: complete rest or cardio such as running.

I've cut a lot of junk from my diet like ice cream since I want to cut down and get lean but I think these meds must be powerful because in spite of cleaning my diet up Ive put on 10 kg and Im not sure what to do. I'm out of my old weight class in Judo now

BKR
9/12/2016 4:57pm,
Ok so Im now on mirtazapine, and the side effects include weight gain and increased appetite. I've noticed since Im on them I'm emotionally better and I'm actually functioning during the day now, but I've definitely put on weight and I can't for the life of me seem to stop, even with the amount of exercise Im doing.

Monday: Leg day (heavy squats, leg curls, leg extensions, crunches, 2-4km run on treadmill, calesthenics to finish). Afternoon is kickboxing (2 hours)

Tuesday: Back day (deadlifts, decline stiff leg deadlifts, rowing, lateral pulldowns, crunches, sprints). Afternoon is Goju Ryu Karate (1 hour)

Wednesday: Evening Judo class followed by upper body (bench, close grip bench, press ups, overhead press, tricep dips, 2km on treadmill. Followed by 30-45 mins in steam room.

Thursday: Evening of MMA (2 hours)

Friday: No martial arts classes on currently (Judo club may be adding another) so usually more time spent in the gym working arms, lunges and back again.

Saturday: I usually use saturdays to go train in manchester on a one to one basis with an escrima/silat/kung fu guy, it's pretty low intensity compared to my normal days.

Sunday: complete rest or cardio such as running.

I've cut a lot of junk from my diet like ice cream since I want to cut down and get lean but I think these meds must be powerful because in spite of cleaning my diet up Ive put on 10 kg and Im not sure what to do. I'm out of my old weight class in Judo now

10 kg in body fat or mix of fat and lean tissue?

I'd talk to my MD about the side effects and see if they can change them or have any dietary advice for you.

kimjonghng
9/12/2016 5:29pm,
10 kg in body fat or mix of fat and lean tissue?

I'd talk to my MD about the side effects and see if they can change them or have any dietary advice for you.

I haven't noticed any strength changes or amounts I can lift, but I've noticed some growth in my pecs so some of it might well be lean tissue. It's been quite rapid though, within the space of two weeks, and that has me somewhat concerned. I have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks, so I'll keep a food diary and talk to them as well.

scipio
9/13/2016 8:36am,
After a quick search of the interwebs the side effects are:
Common mirtazapine side effects include:

drowsiness, dizziness;
strange dreams;
vision changes;
dry mouth;
constipation;
increased appetite; or.
weight gain.

Does sound like the drugs may be causing the weight gain (I'm no doctor). I think best thing would as you are doing going back to your GP and looking at alternatives. You won't see that kind of muscle gain in two weeks from exercise.

ghost55
9/13/2016 9:07am,
Could be water retention...

Permalost
9/13/2016 10:59pm,
Have you tried any other sleep aids? There are others not known for causing weight gain.

ChenPengFi
9/13/2016 11:24pm,
It's fat, and those are moobs.
Sorry.

What BKR and Permalost said aside from that.

Mirtazapine is associated with weight gain both in the short- and long-term.[4] Patients taking mirtazapine often report a voracious appetite, with intense cravings for carbohydrates.[1] One meta-analysis examining 4 studies demonstrated that the majority of weight gain took place during the first 4 weeks of treatment.[4] A study by Thase and colleagues[5] found that the incidence of self-reported weight gain after 12 weeks of mirtazapine was 21%. This incidence increased to 30% in patients who remained on mirtazapine during the 40-week continuation phase of treatment. However, there was no statistically significant difference between mirtazapine vs placebo with respect to the incidence of new-onset weight gain during the continuation phase. Specifically, this study found that weight gain during the 40 weeks of the continuation phase was only about half the weight gain observed during the first 8 to 12 weeks of therapy.

The exact mechanism by which mirtazapine induces weight gain has not been clearly elucidated, but it appears to be multifactorial and pharmacodynamic in nature. Several hypotheses have been put forth in the literature. For example, some suggest that mirtazapine-induced weight gain may be secondary to its effects on the 5-HT2C and H1 receptors.[2]

A second hypothesis for mirtazapine-induced weight gain is a disturbance of the neurobiological controls that regulate food intake.[1] A study by Fernstorm[3] demonstrated a reduction of the basal metabolic rate in patients treated with antidepressants in general. Given this observation, it may be prudent for patients taking mirtazapine to be vigilant about caloric intake to minimize weight gain. However, there have been no published studies that examined whether being proactive in this manner reduces subsequent weight gain in those taking mirtazapine.

Certain antidepressants in general may induce weight gain, partially as a result of increase in fat mass, which is a major determinant of serum leptin levels. Leptin is a fat cell hormone that causes appetite-reducing feedback.[1] Consequently, another hypothesis is that mirtazapine-induced weight gain may be secondary to changes in leptin and the tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) cytokine system.

One open-labeled study involving 11 patients taking mirtazapine demonstrated that during the first week of therapy, a significant increase in weight (mean weight gain of 2.4 kg) was observed, and plasma levels of TNF-alpha increased. A slight and slow increase in leptin became significant by the end of the fourth week of treatment. Therefore, the findings suggested that the activation of the TNF-alpha cytokine system may be an early, sensitive, and specific marker of mirtazapine-induced weight gain. In addition, leptin may be a less sensitive and more variable marker with respect to weight gain.[6]

Although the details of the mechanism by which mirtazapine causes weight gain are unknown, future research is desirable because the implications of this side effect may be catastrophic in some individuals. Specifically, mirtazapine-induced weight gain may contribute to worsening of obesity-related preexisting comorbidities (eg, hyperlipidemia, coronary artery disease, hyperglycemia) or lead to the development of comorbidities that are linked to obesity, such as type 2 diabetes.[7]

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/588676

kimjonghng
9/28/2016 5:56pm,
So a bit of an update.

I've been to the doctors and they are considering changing my meds as I've been putting the weight on, and the benefit of sleeping has gone rather quickly.

Besides that I'm currently being tested for Coeliac disease or Crohn's. They've had a listen to my digestive system and taken a lot of samples, blood tests etc and are considering a colonoscopy. If it does come back as Crohn's I may need to adjust my training and lifestyle. For now, Im on a non-gluten diet and I've got to really watch out for sparring (as body shots are something I've been recommended to stay away from). Still getting horrible hunger pangs from the Mirtazapine side effects, followed by really grim consequences in my lower regions.

I will keep you guys posted

Southpaw
9/29/2016 8:14am,
I know several people who swear by marijuana as a sleep aid. It that something you've tried?

kimjonghng
9/29/2016 9:03am,
I know several people who swear by marijuana as a sleep aid. It that something you've tried?

Never wanted to try it particularly.

My doctor is looking at alternatives and as of today I've decided to lower my carbs to one meal a day. If I go off the Metarzapine and keep exercising then I should see results

Southpaw
9/29/2016 9:49am,
No doubt getting high isn't for everybody, but if you are willing to try a prescription drug with a long list of known side effects, why not try a natural alternative? Just a thought.

submessenger
9/29/2016 10:25am,
Melatonin. I take anywhere from 0 up to 9mg, depending on my level of insomnia. You should start with 3mg, a common OTC dosage.

kimjonghng
9/29/2016 3:22pm,
Doctors called me today and told me to stop taking it immediately. They want it out of my system and want to see me tuesday to discuss what Im going on next.

On the plus side, I no longer have to worry about coursework or anything important after finalizing everything today before graduation, so I can afford to take some time on this now

Jim Giant
9/30/2016 9:26am,
Until you find a way off the drugs look in the bright side, your strength gains must be going through the roof. Up the volume, increase the weights and make the most of it while you can.

ChenPengFi
9/30/2016 5:32pm,
No doubt getting high isn't for everybody, but if you are willing to try a prescription drug with a long list of known side effects, why not try a natural alternative? Just a thought.

Stfu.

Southpaw
10/03/2016 9:57am,
Well that seems a bit harsh.