PDA

View Full Version : Could someone help critique/improve my current Regime for Martial arts

gamespy10
9/04/2016 4:50am,
Hi thanks for taking the time to look at my post. I hope this is the right place for this question as i am new to the forum. Im looking for some advice about how i could make my workout more effective for my goals, if there is anything to add or remove etc.

What i do and my goals

i currently train in HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) and Tae Kwon do (for fitness only). Im a little overweight after university and i am looking to increase my anaerobic endurance and lose some weight. My end goal is to start competing in HEMA tournaments by next year (2017). Basically im looking to be competition fit for fighting someone with a heavy sword.

I currently have access to max weight 20KG dumbbells a pull up bar and a rowing machine in my home, i do not own a gym membership.

For those who dont know HEMA is the study of historical swordsmanship e.g. longsword, rapier, sabre etc. I train mostly in longsword and dussack (single handed cutting sword think cutlass) and i would be competing mainly in single handed tournaments.

My Current regime

Monday: Tae Kwon Do Lesson 1 hour: moderate - high intensity depending on wether we are sparring or just doing forms

Tuesday: Weapons 2 hours: low - moderate intensity: low intensity drilling with a 1.5kg long sword or wrestling drills.

Wednesday: Weapons 1 hour 30 mins: low - moderate intensity drilling with longsword 1.5Kg or single handed sword 1kg followed by intense sparring.

Thursday: rest

Friday: HITT rowing 5 min warm up at a slow pace then 15 minutes pulling intensely for 1 minute then resting for 1 minute

Saturday: steady rowing 30 mins at a manageable pace

Sunday: Callisthenics (push ups, pull ups, chin ups, plank, squats, lunges and crunches) with solo drills with a single handed sword

If anyone could give me any advice or guidance that would be really appreciated. sorry for the length of this post

mrtnira
9/04/2016 6:47am,
Honestly, everyone is different. Considering you probably also have a job, a commute to work and from work, shopping, cooking, cleaning, relationships, and other life things to do well you are doing just great.

Permalost
9/04/2016 10:35am,
I'd drop the TKD in favor of more pure fitness stuff.

goodlun
9/04/2016 12:03pm,
Diet is even more important than exercise so make sure you get that into tip top shape.
I agree drop TDK for pure fitness.
Its really hard to beat wind sprints for cardio improvement best part no equipment needed other than running shoes.
I suggest doing tabata timed wind sprints, as this seems to be the optimal caloric burn rate around.
I don't know what your budget is like but I would think Indian clubs would help you out, what do you think Permalost about Indian clubs for HEMA?
This site has a great library of exercises you can do, what muscles they work, and work out plans.
http://www.exrx.net/
If you dump TDK for a real gym then I suggest you look at
http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

cualltaigh
9/04/2016 6:13pm,
Friday: HITT rowing 5 min warm up at a slow pace then 15 minutes pulling intensely for 1 minute then resting for 1 minute

To get more out of this you need to up the intensity a little - consider breaking this up into smaller bits of higher (100%) effort. A typical one used would be:

/20sec work (as fast as you can)
\10 sec rest
repeat 8 times (so 4mins all up)
1 minute rest

You can do this 3 times to get your 15 mins, though I would recommend doing at least 4. Our Saturday morning HIIT session before no-gi usually comprise of 6 rounds (30mins).

You can also switch it up to keep it interesting.

20 sec row
10 sec rest
20 sec max pullups
10 sec rest
20 sec row
10sec rest
20 sec max burpees
etc.

Maybe also consider investing in some kettle bells, battle ropes or doing some hand-stand pushups so that your strengthening those shoulders.

gregaquaman
9/04/2016 7:11pm,
Get some animal jumping into you.

https://youtu.be/zP-eRWyrKZg

gamespy10
9/07/2016 5:06am,
Hi

Thanks for all the advice, il definitely start to make the rowing more efficient and iv had a look into stronglift 5x5 but i cant really afford a gym membership at the moment unfortunately. If there is anything good i can do with just dumbells let me know.

In regards to the rowing if i start doing the HITT routine recommended further up this post should i still be doing the longer 30 minute rows?

goodlun
9/07/2016 12:44pm,
In regards to the rowing if i start doing the HITT routine recommended further up this post should i still be doing the longer 30 minute rows?

If you can properly HITT or Tabata rows for more than 30 mins you are in better shape than you lead on. That being said you should go as long as you are able to.

gamespy10
9/10/2016 12:57pm,
No no the 30 minutes is just a single pace for 30 mins, i was saying should i replace that for more HITT

goodlun
9/10/2016 4:40pm,
No no the 30 minutes is just a single pace for 30 mins, i was saying should i replace that for more HITT

Aside from a warm-up I see no down side to all cardio(for fitness) being Tabata timed. Its just more efficient.