PDA

View Full Version : Zenshin Jujitsu?

kimjonghng
9/02/2016 11:45am,
So after browsing Manchester's martial arts further after the topic I made with that Kempo class, I found a place offering a Japanese Jujitsu system called 'Zenshin Jujitsu.' Now, since I'm interested in Japanese arts I decided t try to find out a bit more, and I can't for the life of me find anything historical to suggest it's koryu or gendai either way, but when I asked the club about it they told me the history is an 'oral tradition that's not passed on to outsiders.' Seems a bit odd to me, but I'm tempted to roll up and see how they train comparative to my Judo experience and previous time in the Bujinkan. I did however find a video of one of their class environments put together as a 'best of' kinda thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDz0GAI4SgU

Could any Jujitsu-ka or fellow Judo-ka give a perspective on this?

BKR
9/02/2016 11:47am,
This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

BKR
9/02/2016 12:08pm,
So after browsing Manchester's martial arts further after the topic I made with that Kempo class, I found a place offering a Japanese Jujitsu system called 'Zenshin Jujitsu.' Now, since I'm interested in Japanese arts I decided t try to find out a bit more, and I can't for the life of me find anything historical to suggest it's koryu or gendai either way, but when I asked the club about it they told me the history is an 'oral tradition that's not passed on to outsiders.' Seems a bit odd to me, but I'm tempted to roll up and see how they train comparative to my Judo experience and previous time in the Bujinkan. I did however find a video of one of their class environments put together as a 'best of' kinda thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDz0GAI4SgU

Could any Jujitsu-ka or fellow Judo-ka give a perspective on this?

So I went to their Facebook page instead.

I see lots of Bodi Sander-esque quotes and Japanesey-looking stuff, "study REAL Samurai Arts(tm) (lol). Nothing about syllabus, history, qualifications of instructors. They use colored belts for rank, which not a koryu thing.

The one about hardening you body and not your mind is laughable...

Speaking of a good chuckle...

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1609567_10153956583320366_31693297_n.jpg?oh=76c737 7b07bd7adc6bfd42f0aa8950f7&oe=584572B3

BKR
9/02/2016 12:11pm,
This one worked...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MftRdBl2h00

BKR
9/02/2016 12:16pm,
I could not find anything about who runs what classes, qualifications, etc. It looks like the facility is for rent. So I would guess different instructors have it at different times.

submessenger
9/02/2016 12:20pm,
Holy LARPfuck, Batman! Is that a martial arts school, or a Comiccon booth?

BKR
9/02/2016 12:22pm,
Holy LARPfuck, Batman! Is that a martial arts school, or a Comiccon booth?

The only parts of the video that were good were the pushups...

kimjonghng
9/02/2016 12:35pm,
So perhaps not a JJJ style worth looking at then?

kimjonghng
9/02/2016 12:40pm,
Too my knowledge that's the case, I know definitely that the Bujinkan teacher runs a Meifu Shinkage Ryu class as well and there are other instructors at different times.

BKR
9/02/2016 12:56pm,
So perhaps not a JJJ style worth looking at then?

Do Judo...

mrtnira
9/02/2016 3:12pm,
From your recent posts across several topics it looks like you are looking to settle into a category / type of training and you are looking for some discussion concerning best options for you. Your question about jiu-jitsu (ju jutsu, etc.) would really depend upon your innate predispositions and natural abilities, and the instructor, and the people you train with. Everyone's experience is going to be different.

I can have had a great --although limited -- experience in some jiu-jitsu-style training 30 years ago, but in your area the instructors today may be duds and the people in the training center may be unhelpful or even hurtful relationships. That is a problem with advice, the variables and context can change.

However, if you look at the 20th century, jiu-jitsu was common across many police and military services for almost half a century. It had to have something going for it. I suspect the problem with its general demise was when it became over popular and was considered an ultimate solution. The same thing happened to karate. It looks like that has happened to krav maga. It seems to be a pattern. The new solution becomes over-popular and then it becomes diluted in the general population. This does not mean credible instructors do not exist.

With that, I would encourage you to look around. If you can find an instructor who is reasonable to you (personal style preference) and some reasonable people to train with, for that season of your life the training will be of some use to you, regardless of what you practice. There is no one-size-fits-all style or instruction.

kimjonghng
9/02/2016 3:24pm,
Do Judo...

Already doing Judo mate

kimjonghng
9/02/2016 3:31pm,
From your recent posts across several topics it looks like you are looking to settle into a category / type of training and you are looking for some discussion concerning best options for you. Your question about jiu-jitsu (ju jutsu, etc.) would really depend upon your innate predispositions and natural abilities, and the instructor, and the people you train with. Everyone's experience is going to be different.

I can have had a great --although limited -- experience in some jiu-jitsu-style training 30 years ago, but in your area the instructors today may be duds and the people in the training center may be unhelpful or even hurtful relationships. That is a problem with advice, the variables and context can change.

However, if you look at the 20th century, jiu-jitsu was common across many police and military services for almost half a century. It had to have something going for it. I suspect the problem with its general demise was when it became over popular and was considered an ultimate solution. The same thing happened to karate. It looks like that has happened to krav maga. It seems to be a pattern. The new solution becomes over-popular and then it becomes diluted in the general population. This does not mean credible instructors do not exist.

With that, I would encourage you to look around. If you can find an instructor who is reasonable to you (personal style preference) and some reasonable people to train with, for that season of your life the training will be of some use to you, regardless of what you practice. There is no one-size-fits-all style or instruction.

See something I wonder about is if any of these styles are worth anything that could benefit me. I currently train Kodokan Judo and Goju Ryu Primarily, but we have MMA/Kudo type classes in our school and often our sensei encourages us to cross train and see what we as individuals can find and take from it. I like to also keep a check on whats around because I may end up moving in the next year or so to Manchester (for work) and like to keep a heads up on whose doing what and where around there. For now though I'll take what I can from wherever and incorporate it into my arsenal.

We actually had a summer camp of training recently and got to have kyokushin, muay thai and a Japanese Jujitsu guy teach us a few sessions throughout the time there and I've taken an interest in Japanese Jujitsu because it looks like it would be a good style to fill in between Judo and Karate's striking an grappling to make me more rounded. I remember the Bujinkan that I used to train as a teenager was primarily a gendai jujitsu derived system, but I wouldn't consider going back unless I found a non-compliant class environment, especially if there was a decent legitimate Jujitsu system as an alternative.

BKR
9/02/2016 4:52pm,
Already doing Judo mate

Do more Judo then. Throw in some BJJ and you will be golden. Often BJJ or MMA schools go together, so you can get striking in with our grappling.

BKR
9/02/2016 4:57pm,
See something I wonder about is if any of these styles are worth anything that could benefit me. I currently train Kodokan Judo and Goju Ryu Primarily, but we have MMA/Kudo type classes in our school and often our sensei encourages us to cross train and see what we as individuals can find and take from it. I like to also keep a check on whats around because I may end up moving in the next year or so to Manchester (for work) and like to keep a heads up on whose doing what and where around there. For now though I'll take what I can from wherever and incorporate it into my arsenal.

We actually had a summer camp of training recently and got to have kyokushin, muay thai and a Japanese Jujitsu guy teach us a few sessions throughout the time there and I've taken an interest in Japanese Jujitsu because it looks like it would be a good style to fill in between Judo and Karate's striking an grappling to make me more rounded. I remember the Bujinkan that I used to train as a teenager was primarily a gendai jujitsu derived system, but I wouldn't consider going back unless I found a non-compliant class environment, especially if there was a decent legitimate Jujitsu system as an alternative.

http://www.sbgmanchester.com/

for example.

Eddie Hardon
9/05/2016 2:02pm,
I looked at the original youtube and it's straightforward Trad JJ. There are a range of Techniques/Throws through the coloured belts and, also a Black Belt version of Rice Bale, where the Head is retained and then you issue a finishing punch to the Face. He's a portly gentleman, which perhaps explains his Head, Hip Knee (Purple) except he does not drop on to his Knee to accelerate the Throw.

The Stick work is a mix of Syllabus and, well, 'improvised' I suppose.

The punching, conditioning is a local decision. I've no idea who taught the Sensei, nor his lineage, nor who graded him. This is important and he should be prepared to disclose it. The Meditation I could do without - there are those more adept from the Zen lineage and that's the path to choose.

Anyway, nothing more to add at this time. If you take a class, Good luck and come back to offer your thoughts.