PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Kravbizarre
4/27/2016 7:30pm,
So i got 2 bjj comps coming up. 1 next saturday that is white belt only round robin contest at a local mma gym that hold a comp every month (alternating from colored belts, kids and then white). It'll be my first comp where ill be competing (was at the victorian championships last weekend supporting classmates and watching everyone else).

The next comp im competing in is in 3 weeks and its an inhouse comp thats only for members of affiliated schools of the organisation my school is under.

So here is what i need an opinion on or tips. Im thinking of doing some private lessons in judo to get some practise on a few throws. Ive learn a few throws in the past and for some reason feel more comfortable standing than doing single/double leg take downs which i know well enough. There are some people who play better from the top or bottom. I prefere top as i can usually maintain the position better and i suck at sweeps.

I been doing bjj for almost 5 months and train 6-8 hours a week.

WFMurphyPhD
4/27/2016 7:42pm,
So i got 2 bjj comps coming up. 1 next saturday that is white belt only round robin contest at a local mma gym that hold a comp every month (alternating from colored belts, kids and then white). It'll be my first comp where ill be competing (was at the victorian championships last weekend supporting classmates and watching everyone else).

The next comp im competing in is in 3 weeks and its an inhouse comp thats only for members of affiliated schools of the organisation my school is under.

So here is what i need an opinion on or tips. Im thinking of doing some private lessons in judo to get some practise on a few throws. Ive learn a few throws in the past and for some reason feel more comfortable standing than doing single/double leg take downs which i know well enough. There are some people who play better from the top or bottom. I prefere top as i can usually maintain the position better and i suck at sweeps.

I generally like people to be totally comfortable with falling and also be comfortable hitting a few high percentage takedowns before they compete.

There are many direct and indirect benefits to this.

Good Luck!

NeilG
4/27/2016 7:50pm,
Judo is great but you are not going to acquire competition-useful skill in 3 weeks.

cualltaigh
4/27/2016 8:41pm,
I prefere top as i can usually maintain the position better and i suck at sweeps.

How are you at passing? It might be worth spending time on defending takedowns over that time, to pass the guard for top position?!

Kravbizarre
4/27/2016 9:46pm,
How are you at passing? It might be worth spending time on defending takedowns over that time, to pass the guard for top position?!
Im ok for my experience level at minimum ill end up in a half guard from a closed one. Against colored belts i get wrecked but against other whites i do well. I only know 2 closed guard passes and only 1 is reliable.

plasma
4/28/2016 1:09am,
Basically it's comes down to a game plan. Takedown or pull guard? Pick one and get to it immediately. Sweep, pass and submit, have an A path and a B path and get at it. It's not about learning a new trick before competition, it's about having your game drilled to the point where no one can stop you.

Raycetpfl
4/28/2016 9:53am,

Height and weight?

Raycetpfl
4/28/2016 9:54am,
Basically it's comes down to a game plan. Takedown or pull guard? Pick one and get to it immediately. Sweep, pass and submit, have an A path and a B path and get at it. It's not about learning a new trick before competition, it's about having your game drilled to the point where no one can stop you.

#science

BKR
4/28/2016 10:48am,

You'd be better off in the long run to do some Judo, but in the short term, what Plasma said...

Plus, it's white belts only and then an in-house tournament, and they will be your first two. It's for experience more than anything else.

submessenger
4/28/2016 10:53am,
I would just count these as experience. Don't bother with learning throws, at this point. Pull guard, and work your game from there. Relax, take your time, and enjoy the experience. Train to win using only the things you already have in your arsenal, but expect to lose.

goodlun
4/28/2016 10:58am,
You might be better off taking a few privates with your own club and ask the instructor to work on take downs with you.

The rules in Judo and BJJ are different enough to warrant different strategy in your choice of throw and even how you preform a throw.
Things like grips you can take.
See this thread
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125322
and the article from that thread
http://travis-stevens.com/2016/03/03...ant-learn-bjj/

Permalost
4/28/2016 12:06pm,
1-3 weeks out from a tournament is the time you shouldn't be doing anything new, since you probably won't be able to apply anything new after so little practice, and because experimenting can lead to injury. If I were you, I'd be working on bread-and-butter stuff.

Raycetpfl
4/28/2016 12:28pm,
You might be better off taking a few privates with your own club and ask the instructor to work on take downs with you.

The rules in Judo and BJJ are different enough to warrant different strategy in your choice of throw and even how you preform a throw.
Things like grips you can take.
See this thread
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125322
and the article from that thread
http://travis-stevens.com/2016/03/03...ant-learn-bjj/

Agreed to some degree. There's also enough cross over that it'd a worthwhile endeavor.

The Georgian style is great if you are a tall player. Leg shots are good if you are shorter player. Of course this is all relative to your weight class. 5"10 isn't tall imo, buts it's tall for 140lbs.

goodlun
4/28/2016 12:37pm,
Agreed to some degree. There's also enough cross over that it'd a worthwhile endeavor.

Yeah, I certainly don't disagree with this, Judo is fantastic, however if one wants to do Judo they should be doing it for Judo and be happy with the skills that do cross over, they should have an actual plan to add Judo as a regular part of ones training and go and participate in Judo competition.

Kravbizarre
4/28/2016 4:16pm,
@ray: 5'6 and 154 pounds

@sub: yeah im expecting to loose thats the problem. I just scared of loosing before anything starts. Im guessing this is normal for somone who hasnt competed before.

@goodlun: my proffessor charges a ridiculous rate for private lessons (from what ive seen as the going rate, he charges more than double that. Hes extremely skilled and talented but its a lot of cash to drop in one hit).

Raycetpfl
4/28/2016 4:22pm,
@ray: 5'6 and 154 pounds

@sub: yeah im expecting to loose thats the problem. I just scared of loosing before anything starts. Im guessing this is normal for somone who hasnt competed before.

@goodlun: my proffessor charges a ridiculous rate for private lessons (from what ive seen as the going rate, he charges more than double that. Hes extremely skilled and talented but its a lot of cash to drop in one hit).

Average-ish for that height. Single legs and double legs. They are pretty easy to learn and Hard to master like any grappling.

http://youtu.be/j_BkUZ3wOQA