PDA

View Full Version : Pac-man vs. Gay men

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tonuzaba
2/16/2016 9:45am,
Just a reminder: someone being great at a certain form of martial art rarely if ever makes them a role model in other fields of life, say not-being-a-bigoted-asshole and such.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/16/sport/boxing-manny-pacquiao-animals-gay/index.html

"Manny Pacquiao: Boxer sorry for 'gay people are worse than animals' remark
By Chris Murphy, CNN
Updated 1256 GMT (2056 HKT) February 16, 2016

Story highlights
Manny Pacquiao apologizes after remarks on gay people cause outrage in Philippines
Eight-time boxing champion says homosexuals are "worse than animals"
Pacquiao, a local politician, is running for a seat in the country's senate
(CNN)Eight-time world boxing champion Manny Pacquiao has apologized after sparking outrage in the Philippines by saying gay people are "worse than animals."

The 37-year-old, who is running for a seat in the country's senate, made the remarks on a television program broadcast by Filipino station TV5.

Campaigning to secure one of 12 national seats he said: "It's common sense. Will you see any animals where male is to male and female is to female?

"The animals are better. They know how to distinguish male from female. If we approve [of] male on male, female on female, then man is worse than animals."

He first clarified his comments on his Instragram page, before later posting a video message on his Twitter account.

"I'm sorry for everyone who got hurt due to my comparison of gay people (homosexuals) to animals," he said. "It was my mistake. Please forgive me for those who I've hurt.

"But this does not change my position against same sex marriage. That's what I believe. My only mistake is comparing gay people to animals."

The first fighter to win world titles at eight different weight divisions, Pacquiao is set to retire after his bout with Timothy Bradley in April.

The Filipino boxer's "super fight" in Las Vegas with Floyd Mayweather last year was the most lucrative in boxing history. Pacquiao lost a unanimous points decision.

In pictures: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

Pacquiao currently sits in the Philippines' House of Representatives but is often absent due to his boxing commitments.

Reaction to his comments was swift, with one of the country's most popular gay comedians, Vice Ganda, using the hashtag #PrayForMannyPacquiao on Twitter.

"The LGBT is a group of people," Ganda told his 6.7 million followers. "We are humans. But not animals. Though we're no saints we will pray for Manny Pacquiao."

Pacquiao responded to the criticism on Instagram account, prior to posting a video of him back in training.

"I rather obey the Lord's command than obeying the desires of the flesh," wrote the boxer. "I'm not condemning anyone, but I'm just telling the truth of what the Bible says. The truth from the Bible is what changed me from my old ways."

Quoting from 1 Corinthians 6:9, Pacquiao added: "Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men."

He signed off by saying: "God Bless everyone I love you all."

Several hours after that, an apology was posted on the boxer's Twitter page.

The Philippines is Asia's most Catholic nation with 70 million devotees. Though gay marriages do take place, they are not recognized by the state or by the church.

Ladlad, an LGBT political organization, was also quick to condemn Pacquiao's comments.

"Rep. Pacquiao ... betrays a shallow understanding of sexual orientation and gender identity, nay, even the very basics of science," it said in a post on its Facebook page.

"His advisers—and Rep. Pacquiao himself—should bone up on LGBT issues that are becoming more important as the 21st century unfolds.

"Otherwise, they would be left behind in the Dark Ages, when the cavemen ruled, and the numbskulls roamed the earth."

Also, I f-cking hate this "I am sorry" **** - at least mean it, if you say it. Or learn to think about what you let out of your piehole in the first place... Damn.

gregaquaman
2/16/2016 5:25pm,
A dog will happily **** a persons leg. I hardly think animals are exactly setting the standard for straight behaviour.

Tranquil Suit
2/16/2016 5:30pm,
I cut him a lot of slack on the grounds of his origin. Slums in a highly religious 3rd world country

Bneterasedmynam
2/16/2016 6:15pm,
He would be better off running for senate in the U.S. Especially the south.

Eddie Hardon
2/27/2016 1:24pm,
Well, as a World Champion boxer, you would think he'd be aware of Emile Griffith, who held the World Welterweight Title and, later, the World Middleweight Title. It might be worth his time reading "A Man's World" by Donald Macrae. Just a minor thought.

ChenPengFi
2/27/2016 2:33pm,
Isn't tolerance towards his form of bigotry a founding principle of our own country?
And isn't it bigoted to not allow him that freedom?

I mean yeah, he's wrong.
There are certainly animals that engage in same sex, sexual behaviors and there are even animals that change sex.
But we have examples of tolerance for different religions' bigotry all over the place here in the US.

He can keep his attitudes as far as I'm concerned.
I don't expect boxers to be particularly articulate or intelligent or even morally sound.

mike321
2/27/2016 3:11pm,
Isn't tolerance towards his form of bigotry a founding principle of our own country?

I mean yeah, he's wrong.
There are certainly animals that engage in same sex, sexual behaviors and there are even animals that change sex.
But we have examples of tolerance for different religions' bigotry all over the place here in the US.

I don't expect boxers to be particularly articulate or intelligent or even morally sound.
I think you are on the right track here. It seems we have stepped away from tolerance and actually moved towards trying to get people to think a certain way instead of focusing on actions. Realistically, civil rights can only be enforced on actions anyway.

Of course, sponsors are private entities and get to choose their spokespersons.

ChenPengFi
2/27/2016 3:24pm,
I think you are on the right track here. It seems we have stepped away from tolerance and actually moved towards trying to get people to think a certain way instead of focusing on actions. Realistically, civil rights can only be enforced on actions anyway.

Of course, sponsors are private entities and get to choose their spokespersons.

Agreed.
It's not like there aren't lots of like minded individuals after all.
Maybe he can pick up Chick-Fil-A?

Heck, that's one topic some of the major religions can actually agree on.
Just imagine, Pac-man heralding in the new age of unity between Jews, Muslims and Catholics!

I don't think dog meat is Kosher or Halal though.

Raycetpfl
2/27/2016 3:42pm,
A dog will happily **** a persons leg. I hardly think animals are exactly setting the standard for straight behaviour.

I mean ..... if I was single and Kate Upton wanted me to hump her leg I would be down like a clown.
I mean if she asked while my girl was present and watching it would still be highly likely.

The Cap
3/01/2016 1:07am,

I mean yeah, he's wrong.

Freedom of thought is a fundamental human right, and freedom of expression is up there too. Problems arise when bigots act upon their harmful beliefs, especially from positions of power. Pacman is trying to get onto the Filipino senate. Let him think what he wants, but his country would be wise to keep him out of government.

ChenPengFi
3/01/2016 1:58am,
Freedom of thought is a fundamental human right, and freedom of expression is up there too. Problems arise when bigots act upon their harmful beliefs, especially from positions of power. Pacman is trying to get onto the Filipino senate. Let him think what he wants, but his country would be wise to keep him out of government.

Lol!
Have you been there or do you know anything about the place?
Technically I agree with everything you wrote but it's the PI!
They've got far worse to deal with and at least Manny brings some international scrutiny.
Besides, he's probably echoing a majority opinion there re: Catholicism.
Why do you hate democracy so much?

ChenPengFi
3/01/2016 2:31am,
Just to be clear, their tolerance is greater than that in many(most?) regions of the US.
They are pretty gay-friendly all things considered despite the Catholic bent.

Kravbizarre
3/01/2016 6:47am,
Hes entitled to his opinion. Theres plenty of people out there that do and say worse but because hes famous its ok to get all bent on it. Too much outrage these days, that all i seem to hear from the media. If its a message that people shouldnt have then why is it so wide spread on media.

Only thing that pissed me off (regardless of the topic) is he said something and now apolagises for having this view. If your gonna have a view or opinion stick to it, dont crumble to social/media pressure. His contract with nike was already destroyed anyway so apolagizing wouldnt do ****.

The Cap
3/01/2016 6:05pm,
Lol!
Have you been there or do you know anything about the place?
Technically I agree with everything you wrote but it's the PI!
They've got far worse to deal with and at least Manny brings some international scrutiny.

My gay Filipino coworker laid it out pretty well: **** Manny (only in the pejorative sense, apparently Manny's not hot) and keep him out of office. **** like this is why he's no longer in the country. What the hell's international awareness going to do for him? How much did international scrutiny affect Fedor's stance on the invasion of the Ukraine after he took office?

Besides, he's probably echoing a majority opinion there re: Catholicism.

Majority opinion's not a positive thing when it's abusing a harmless minority.

Why do you hate democracy so much?

Socrates, duh.

ChenPengFi
3/01/2016 7:08pm,
My gay Filipino coworker laid it out pretty well: **** Manny (only in the pejorative sense, apparently Manny's not hot) and keep him out of office. **** like this is why he's no longer in the country. What the hell's international awareness going to do for him? How much did international scrutiny affect Fedor's stance on the invasion of the Ukraine after he took office?

Well you're talking about it.
Are you equating their level of tolerance with an invasion?
Do you work in a restaurant?

Majority opinion's not a positive thing when it's abusing a harmless minority.

It is what it is.

Socrates, duh.

Are you another one of those NAMBLA weirdos?

The Cap
3/02/2016 3:24am,
Well you're talking about it.

As insensible as it can be for a foreigner to make a value judgement about another culture*, bigotry is difficult to defend. The Philippines may not have legalised gay marriage, however they have also not criminalized non-traditional sexualities. That's a positive thing, but electing someone who views the LGBTQ community as subhuman would very likely be a step backwards (that is if the senate is populated by elections and not appointments there).

*You want to argue about whether it's possible for an outsider to assess cultural value? Is it even possible to assign value to a culture? There's a subject to broach at any college campus demonstration.

Are you equating their level of tolerance with an invasion?

No, I'm equating the effect of their international fame on their political stances.

Do you work in a restaurant?

No. Do you work in IT?

Are you another one of those NAMBLA weirdos?

Are you just making up words now?