PDA

View Full Version : looking for a school

rum pirate
11/03/2015 12:24pm,
Hello all,

I live on the south shore of Montreal, Canada. I did a lot of MA when I was younger...like 20 years younger, and I am trying to get back into it. For the last 2 weeks I have been checking out Martial Art clubs and I am having the hardest time finding anyone that does not just cater to kids or are so full of themselves that I can't stop laughing when I see YouTube videos of them...

I am open to almost anything..anybody here go to a school in my hood?

Cheers

patfromlogan
11/07/2015 9:59pm,
Just looking around I see Angry Monkey. http://www.angrymonkeymma.com/default.aspx Have you checked them out, the Judo especially looks like a high skill coach.

Bayonet
11/08/2015 5:58am,
The Shidokan is probably one of the best.

Honestly, Quebec has a lot of great Judo, so you will likely end up with a ton of training partners and lots of opportunities for competitions and technique clinics. Just train at the club closest to you.

ghost55
11/08/2015 5:48pm,
Montreal you say? Go ye forth you lucky bastard: http://www.tristargym.com/

Raycetpfl
11/09/2015 10:35am,
Montreal you say? Go ye forth you lucky bastard: http://www.tristargym.com/

Baddest dudes ever with a french accent: Napoleón Bonaparte , Teddy Reiner, GSP.

There's really good instructors there. The fight team seems to be full of nice guys. If tristar isn't on the top of your list I don't know what else you could be looking for.

rum pirate
11/09/2015 12:34pm,
Thanks to everybody that replied, but....I was looking more for insights from personal experience with any of these schools...

Thanks

Vivity360
11/10/2015 1:42am,
I don't know how much is the cost to train at Tristar, but it most be cery high... If he don't look for competition, I am not sure it is a good place to start.

Cdnronin
11/10/2015 9:10am,
Where on the South Shore? Brossard, Candiac, Chateauguay?

Cdnronin
11/10/2015 9:19am,
There is Gracie Barra jiu jitsu in Brossard.

rum pirate
11/10/2015 9:29am,
Hello Cdnronin,

Thanks for the reply.

I live in St Hubert. Have you heard of the Martial Plus school. There is a guy there, I believe that his name is Nino Bonaduce and he teaches Jeet Kune Do. Ever hear of him?

Cdnronin
11/15/2015 4:09pm,
It's been 35 years since I lived in St Hubert. I am not familiar with Nino Bonaduce, but a quick glance around the net shows pictures of him with Dan Inosanto and Larry Hartsell. Would be worth checking out.

KneeDragger_c69
9/21/2016 3:45am,
I know this is a bit old... but I just got here.

Wanted to know if you had found what you were looking for in the South Shore of Montreal ?

If so, where are you at and what are your impressions of Nino Bonaduce, if you ended up going there ?

If interested, there is Muay Thai in that same center, not given by him.
A much better and more motivating teacher.

Cheers

brewersmurf
9/27/2016 7:13pm,
Hey,

Thanks for the info KneeDragger_c69. Never went with the Jeet Kune Do. Are you taking Muay Thai with him?

KneeDragger_c69
9/28/2016 6:33pm,
Did you end up going and seeing the gym ?
Not a fancy place but if you follow the right teacher and you like the art they give, then it ain't so bad.

Yes I train there... I'm the trainer ��

Hey,

Thanks for the info KneeDragger_c69. Never went with the Jeet Kune Do. Are you taking Muay Thai with him?