PDA

View Full Version : How do kyokushin guys box?

judoka01
10/31/2015 3:12pm,
Don't they just get used to having a low guard and then get pummeled as their bad habits (protecting ribs constantly) come into play in a MMA or self defense situation?

judoka01
10/31/2015 3:13pm,
On top of that, wouldn't they not even know how to throw a jab?

gregaquaman
10/31/2015 3:55pm,
Can do. So then they may need to do actual boxing to supliment their skill set.

Moenstah
11/01/2015 8:52am,
Don't they just get used to having a low guard and then get pummeled as their bad habits (protecting ribs constantly) come into play in a MMA or self defense situation?

Yes there tends to be a gap (depending on dojo) for straight punches. On the other hand, they do get kicks to the head and knees, so it's not like they don't have a defense at all.

no

Raycetpfl
11/01/2015 11:14am,
One of my best friends is a 25 year Tang So Do guy. His style seems to be nearly identical to kyokushin or at least to this Jiu-Jitsu guy it does.

He boxed and kickboxed at his dojo. I would guess this is very common in America with the people that want to actually be good fighter opposed to those people that are doing karate for points, traditional training or just trying to get some exercise while wearing PJ's.
Is it rare to have boxing being done in a Karate school?

ghost55
11/01/2015 2:22pm,

Jab/cross/round kick is kyokushin 101. We absolutely know how to jab.

judoka01
11/01/2015 5:41pm,
But if its not part of competition or sparring how do you practice it or refine it or test it?

Raycetpfl
11/01/2015 6:20pm,
But if its not part of competition or sparring how do you practice it or refine it or test it?

There are kyokushin tournaments with face punching I think.

judoka01
11/01/2015 6:36pm,
There are kyokushin tournaments with face punching I think.

Oh, I didn't know that. well that settles it then.

ghost55
11/01/2015 6:45pm,
Oh, I didn't know that. well that settles it then.

Yeah, and in the dojo we sometimes strike to the face. And you can totally jab to the body.

Timo Nieminen
11/02/2015 1:19am,

Can do. My experience with people coming out of Kyokushin is that they're easy to punch in the face at first, but they adapt quickly. Straight from Kyokushin sport-fighting to self-defence might result in some hits, but they know how to get hit, which will help.

(Half of my broken ribs have been from Kyokushin people.)

Permalost
11/02/2015 12:37pm,
you can totally jab to the body.

Some even use this as a standard kick defense.

Bugeisha
11/02/2015 4:30pm,
Not all sparring in kyokushin is knockdown. It's not uncommon to glove up and allow headshots for sparring in the dojo, or between dojo. In my dojo, a lot of the fighters came from mixed backgrounds (boxing, thai boxing, collegiate wrestling, judo and bjj, as a sampler) so our "in-house" sparring was pretty liberal in terms of what was allowed.