PDA

View Full Version : Pure olympic style taekwondo school?

matutor
10/19/2015 12:03pm,
Does this exist? I mean like absolutely no forms. Only sparring. You rank up based on how well you spar.

Bar Humbug
11/03/2015 11:30am,
Does this exist? I mean like absolutely no forms. Only sparring. You rank up based on how well you spar.

So if I get this correct, your asking if there is a WTF (i.e. Olympic) Tae Kwon Do school that does only sparring?
Short answer: No, forms are an integral (and in the UK, the primary) part of the progression system in WTF TKD.

That said, there is a system by which WTF NGB's poach ITF fighters by accrediting them with grades for competitions, I don't know a lot about it apart from hearsay from a few WTF instructors in the UK, apparently it was brought in after the whole WTF/ITF lets get together and hold hands fest that happened a while back, but once again, ITF TKD is not 'Olympic style' TKD, and it may turn out to be nothing than rumour.

matutor
11/03/2015 12:55pm,
So if I get this correct, your asking if there is a WTF (i.e. Olympic) Tae Kwon Do school that does only sparring?
Short answer: No, forms are an integral (and in the UK, the primary) part of the progression system in WTF TKD.

That said, there is a system by which WTF NGB's poach ITF fighters by accrediting them with grades for competitions, I don't know a lot about it apart from hearsay from a few WTF instructors in the UK, apparently it was brought in after the whole WTF/ITF lets get together and hold hands fest that happened a while back, but once again, ITF TKD is not 'Olympic style' TKD, and it may turn out to be nothing than rumour.

Yeah I don't know why forms matter so much. I feel like alot of schools overemphasise the forms and could get really good at sparring if that's all they practiced.

Bar Humbug
11/04/2015 11:01am,
Yeah I don't know why forms matter so much. I feel like alot of schools overemphasise the forms and could get really good at sparring if that's all they practiced.

Best to look at the TKD good, bad and Ugly thread for peoples views on that, summarises a lot of the issues in TKD

My own view is that the overemphasis on forms is part of the business model. Easier to teach masses of people forms and make people punch the air and feel like a badass than actually get the **** potentially beat out of them, thus raising insurance costs across the board for TKD NGB's and leaving them open to litigation should negligence be proven. keeps people in schools while keeping costs down.

If your frustrated with the emphasis on forms, I'd highly recommend augmenting your TKD with MT and definitely Boxing. Boxing gives you the hand skills that are notoriously absent in TKD, while MT gives you a variation on kicking, as well as greater focus on hands, plus knees and elbow. All round, MT+Boxing makes a good striker, combined with TKD makes you a fucking unpredictable good striker. Plus no forms :D.

matutor
11/05/2015 1:23am,
Best to look at the TKD good, bad and Ugly thread for peoples views on that, summarises a lot of the issues in TKD

My own view is that the overemphasis on forms is part of the business model. Easier to teach masses of people forms and make people punch the air and feel like a badass than actually get the **** potentially beat out of them, thus raising insurance costs across the board for TKD NGB's and leaving them open to litigation should negligence be proven. keeps people in schools while keeping costs down.

If your frustrated with the emphasis on forms, I'd highly recommend augmenting your TKD with MT and definitely Boxing. Boxing gives you the hand skills that are notoriously absent in TKD, while MT gives you a variation on kicking, as well as greater focus on hands, plus knees and elbow. All round, MT+Boxing makes a good striker, combined with TKD makes you a fucking unpredictable good striker. Plus no forms :D.

Funny you say that because that's exactly what I've been doing! I started going to an mma gym and I'm studying everything you are saying. The TKD does help with the kicking dexterity I would say, but after experiencing it, I would prefer more the straightforward muay thai kicking as opposed to the fancy taekwondo kicks, although throwing a wheel kick or solid back kick can really throw people off when I spar, especially when I switch from orthodox and southpaw randomly.

Bar Humbug
11/05/2015 8:48am,
Funny you say that because that's exactly what I've been doing! I started going to an mma gym and I'm studying everything you are saying. The TKD does help with the kicking dexterity I would say, but after experiencing it, I would prefer more the straightforward muay thai kicking as opposed to the fancy taekwondo kicks, although throwing a wheel kick or solid back kick can really throw people off when I spar, especially when I switch from orthodox and southpaw randomly.

A personal favourite of mine is the forward leg snap front kick, a la 'That Kick'. I've found that usually a lot of mma guys have at best only rudimentary MT/kickboxing skills, and the forward leg snap kick messes them up, they don't know how to move or check it and it really helps set up other striking or grappling options. The low level side kick also seems to be getting a lot of love in mma (at least at the place I train in the UK), so I've been messing around with those two in my striking game.

Also two touch kicks and wheel kicks look fucking awesome, nuff said.

Permalost
11/05/2015 12:54pm,
A personal favourite of mine is the forward leg snap front kick, a la 'That Kick'. I've found that usually a lot of mma guys have at best only rudimentary MT/kickboxing skills, and the forward leg snap kick messes them up, they don't know how to move or check it and it really helps set up other striking or grappling options.
Are you talking about a front kick hitting like a teep with the ball of the foot, or something else?

Bar Humbug
11/05/2015 1:23pm,
Are you talking about a front kick hitting like a teep with the ball of the foot, or something else?

Its not quite a teep, your hitting with a similar part of the foot, though the body mechanics are a little different
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVZU5Q_gJQo
Unfortunately this is the best one I can find on short notice to demonstrate a snap kick, its not so much a difference in initial set up as about the direction of force, with the teep it is going through the opponent, the snap kick as I utilise it is on a more vertical plan, designed to make contact with the jaw/face.

Hope that's kind of clearer, I know I kinda butchered an explanation of it

Cake of Doom
11/05/2015 1:53pm,
Kind of like a Mae Geri in karate but aimed higher?

Bar Humbug
11/05/2015 1:58pm,
Kind of like a Mae Geri in karate but aimed higher?

If by Mae Geri you mean this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPvd0-ATYSA
Sort of, I tend to do it without the forward momentum/step through, it serves more like a jab

Cake of Doom
11/05/2015 2:03pm,
Ah. That makes sense now with where the snap comes into play. Gotcha.

matutor
11/06/2015 2:49pm,
are sidekicks to the knees legal in mma? I feel like that could really blow out some knees easily lol

Timo Nieminen
11/08/2015 12:13am,

There are schools/clubs that have training sessions purely for Olympic-style sparring (either basic drills aimed at sparring, or just sparring). Depending on the school, they might be happy with you doing just those sessions. At least one school (with a branch a mere 100km away from me) suggests people do one of the combinations of (Olympic-style sparring + base TKD) or (Olympic-style sparring + kickboxing); with the latter, there'll be no forms. There'll also be no ranking up (usually). Why care about rank? Your competition record will stand by itself.

matutor
11/09/2015 2:44am,
Where have there been any "two touch" kicks in mma fights?

Bar Humbug
11/09/2015 1:17pm,
Where have there been any "two touch" kicks in mma fights?

In mma, no where that i've seen, though I trust someone has probably been dumb enough to try at some point. I was thinking something like this beauty in Glory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZEazb8h0U8