PDA

View Full Version : Pasaryu

mrhiggins38112
8/06/2015 8:58am,
Whatsup. I train Dog Bros right now and I am looking for another art to crosstrain in that doesn't interfere with my DB training. Preferably a striking art. I don't want to train muay thai simply because I am out of shape and the excersize is just a little too intense for my taste. Now I do want excersize, but not quite so intense. The only thing I could find in my town was a Pasaryu class. This class does have conditioning which is good for weight loss. They have sparring and competition which seems fun. I'm going to check out the class Saturday.

Which brings me to my question. What do you guys think about pasaryu as an art. Apparently Ed Parker recommended Khang Rhee's school to elvis. That makes me think the art is legit, but what are you guys opinion of the art. My goals are to become a proficient fighter, fitness for weight loss, and possibly even compete. Forgive me if this has already been spoken on. I used the search function but couldn't find much info.

Permalost
8/06/2015 11:26am,
-DBMA can easily be as intense a workout as muay thai

-I've actually never heard of pasa ryu, but I don't see why Ed Parker recommended it to Elvis makes it legit. Ed Parker heavily shaped the modern mcdojo and Elvis was no fighter.

While technically a WMA, this might not be the best subforum for this, since they went with the Asian name, gi and colored belts, etc that makes it look almost identical to TKD, from what I've seen.

-these pasa ryu classes look more like TKD family daycare than a serious striking art.

Bneterasedmynam
8/06/2015 11:40am,
I'm not even sure it really qualifies as a WMA, it's basically just rebranded Asian based arts.

mrhiggins38112
8/06/2015 12:06pm,
Hmmm. Well, I welcome the mods to move this thread, if they think it isn't in the proper area of the forum. I just posted it here because if I'm not mistaken the art was put together by Khang Rhee while living in America. Of course I could be wrong.

I've trained muay thai for a month and DB for a week. My instructor says he focuses more on technique than excersize and so far it's not nearly as intense as muay thai. Maybe there are rougher days, but so far it hasn't been too physically demanding. Heck, alot of the guys in class don't even break a sweat from what I've seen. Maybe it does get rougher on some days, I haven't been there long so I don't know. It won't bother me much to get that intense of a work out if it's only on occassions.

mrhiggins38112
8/06/2015 12:10pm,
I suppose if Pasaryu is a crappy art I will just stick with the Dog Brothers and excersize on my own time. It would be nice though if I could find an art in my city that I am interested in to train in and get the excersize I need at the same time. While also having a convenient schedule.

mrhiggins38112
8/06/2015 5:03pm,
One of the martial arts vets answered my question somewhere else. They think the art looks like crap. Oh well.

DdlR
8/07/2015 12:53am,
Hmmm. Well, I welcome the mods to move this thread, if they think it isn't in the proper area of the forum. I just posted it here because if I'm not mistaken the art was put together by Khang Rhee while living in America. Of course I could be wrong.

"Western martial arts" are generally accepted to be those (traditional and revived) styles whose significant influences and actual cultural roots are in Europe, rather than those modern styles that happen to have been founded in "the West".

ghost55
8/07/2015 1:32am,
Stop being a ***** and just do Muay Thai.

mrhiggins38112
8/07/2015 8:09am,
Stop being a ***** and just do Muay Thai.

lol. I think I'm just going to stick with Dog Bros, and excersize on my own time, hehe.