PDA

View Full Version : WSOF Strips and Suspends Rousimar Palhares

Pages : [1] 2

PizDoff
8/04/2015 2:45pm,
WSOF president Ray Sefo announced Monday August 3, 2015 that Rousimar Palhares is no longer champion.

WSOF suspends Rousimar Palhares, strips him of title after wild event
By Andreas Hale
http://i.imgur.com/cHUPGP6.jpg
The fallout of a vastly successful but controversial weekend for World Series of Fighting – which included a brawl between UFC fighters outside of the cage – has left the burgeoning promotion with no choice but to suspend Rousimar Palhares indefinitely and strip him of his welterwight title after yet another infraction.

Palhares, who successfully retained his welterweight title in a highly anticipated showdown with Jake Shields on Saturday night in Las Vegas, will have to re-evaluate his career on the sideline after holding a submission well after his opponent tapped out.

His behavior has marred the grappling expert his entire pro career and resulted in his dismissal from the UFC in 2013.

WSOF took a flier on the immensely talented but troubled fighter. Yet after a foul-ridden fight that saw Palhares eye-gouge and fail to disengage a kimura after Shields clearly tapped out in the third round, WSOF came to the conclusion that it had seen enough.

“I don’t think [Palhares] is a bad guy, but I just think he has mental problems and shouldn’t be allowed to fight until he fixes them,” World Series of Fighting vice president Ali Abdel-Aziz told Yahoo Sports.

The WSOF executive said he had advised Team Palhares to send the fighter to a sports psychologist, but doesn’t believe it cared enough about its troubled fighter to help him.

Source (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/wsof-suspends-champ-rousimar-palhares-in-aftermath-of-wild-event-165046403.html)

Does Palhares need help? What's next for him?

View UFC fighter and submission artist Joe Lauzon's thoughts on this video: https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Devil
8/04/2015 2:53pm,
Good. **** him.

frenchie88
8/04/2015 3:09pm,
Hopefully the douchebag is done for good.

ghost55
8/04/2015 3:59pm,
Hopefully the douchebag is done for good.

He's not a douchebag, he's a hillbilly retard that happens to have savant-level BJJ. It's an important difference for everyone aside from the people who get their arms ripped off.

Sunwukong
8/05/2015 5:54am,
Good call.
He's a good fighter, but too dangerous to other athletes.
It has been proven time and again.

If one cannot abide the rules of engagement one should not participate in a sporting event.

Devil
8/05/2015 1:18pm,
I've seen some guys try to justify his behavior online. Guys who should know better.

They wanted to make arguments about how what he did isn't that bad and how people want to see violence but only a certain kind of violence and that somehow Palhares was just too much of a reminder of what real violence looks like. Bullshit.

There is nothing good about what he does. There is no benefit. People are not helpless pussies who can't defend themselves on the street just because they don't want to watch Palhares break somebody's fucking arm.

Self control is an important part of self defense. If you can't control yourself in the cage, you can't control yourself on the street. The kind of person who would continue pushing a submission when a fight is over is the same kind of person who would lose control and turn a self defense situation into an assault. Or worse.

Tranquil Suit
8/10/2015 3:06pm,
How many of his opponents have actually suffered ligament damage from his overzealous submissions?

Devil
8/10/2015 3:12pm,
How many of his opponents have actually suffered ligament damage from his overzealous submissions?

You are not going to find an accurate answer to that question anywhere, so it's pointless to ask.

Ming Loyalist
8/10/2015 3:17pm,
I've seen some guys try to justify his behavior online. Guys who should know better.

They wanted to make arguments about how what he did isn't that bad and how people want to see violence but only a certain kind of violence and that somehow Palhares was just too much of a reminder of what real violence looks like. Bullshit.

There is nothing good about what he does. There is no benefit. People are not helpless pussies who can't defend themselves on the street just because they don't want to watch Palhares break somebody's fucking arm.

Self control is an important part of self defense. If you can't control yourself in the cage, you can't control yourself on the street. The kind of person who would continue pushing a submission when a fight is over is the same kind of person who would lose control and turn a self defense situation into an assault. Or worse.

god DAMMIT, i meant to upvote this. sorry dude.

ChenPengFi
8/10/2015 3:20pm,
So the takeaway is Meisha Tate is tougher than Jake Shields.

Tranquil Suit
8/10/2015 3:31pm,
You are not going to find an accurate answer to that question anywhere, so it's pointless to ask.

I haven't paid close enough attention to Palhares' career to be 100% sure. But from the handful of his 'bad' fights I watched. The aftermath report always showed the opponent to be ok.

I'm fairly confident the answer is ZERO.

So what I'm saying is, let's wait till he amputates someone first. Then and only then should the public cast judgement.

Yep.

Devil
8/10/2015 3:36pm,
I haven't paid close enough attention to Palhares' career to be 100% sure. But from the handful of his 'bad' fights I watched. The aftermath report always showed the opponent to be ok.

So what I'm saying is, let's wait till he amputates someone first.

There is not enough information available to answer your question. How many noses has Anderson Silva broken?

Tranquil Suit
8/10/2015 3:44pm,
Post-fight injuries are reported (especially on Bellator and UFC level). The information is out there.

Devil
8/10/2015 3:50pm,
Post-fight injuries are reported (especially on Bellator and UFC level). The information is out there.

I'm aware of injury reports. I also don't assume they're correct, for a number of reasons. One of those reasons is that the injury reports come out quickly after the fight and some injuries will not be diagnosed by then. Another reason is that fighters could have various reasons to lie about injuries.

At the very least, you're asking for someone to do a shitload of homework for you.

Tranquil Suit
8/10/2015 4:15pm,
Given how easily RP is villified, if one of his opponents actually got injured because of the submission, the opponent would never keep it quiet. **** that, he'd milk it, get some of RP's purse, maybe a No Contest.

Let's skip homework and assume for the sake of argument that he hasn't injured anyone.

What is this about then? Code of Conduct. Paul Harris no hespek the tap. Reapetedly. Does the punishment fit the crime?

Well, when he got kicked out of the UFC, I thought that was too much. I suspect if the BJJ crowd didn't pour out their outrage, thus forcing Dana's hand, he'd be there for at least 1 more fight.

Now? Well... Suspended indefinitely (= 6 months) so... yeah okay.

Permalost
8/10/2015 4:21pm,

So what I'm saying is, let's wait till he amputates someone first. Then and only then should the public cast judgement.

Yep.
You can walk away from an over-cranked submission without bitching about it and still have it injured to some degree.