PDA

View Full Version : First day of bājqun coming up

DicaxStultux
7/23/2015 3:19am,
On August 8th, I've got a private lesson lined up at a wushu academy about 2 hours from me in Tulsa, OK. It's the Luohan Wushu Academy. They offer bājqun instruction.

I'm a bit nervous, this will be the first time I've done real Chinese martial arts. The closest I came was a Yang-style Taijiquan class when I was a teenager that was more about me coming in early and the sifu teaching me Shorin-ryu karate before the class started, and doing a few months of training with a jeet kune do practitioner who fought in the under-18 junior Ironweights when he was younger. All I've really done beforehand has been a couple of styles of karate, jujitsu, and boxing.

Does anyone know anything about the school? And aside from the usual stuff I think I need to expect from a CMA lesson (Stances, legwork, stretching, I'm guessing), is there anything specific with bāj? I've been enamored with it for several years, and I've finally found a place that offers it.

DicaxStultux
8/04/2015 9:25am,
For some reason, it ended up taking a while for my post to be checked before it got posted. In that time, my class got moved up a week, and I did it on Saturday. It was excellent. My new sifu went over 4 basic moves and some applications. He detailed cross and reeling energy, and big and small "chn," while of course critiquing my stances, pivoting, and zhnjiăo.

I was nervous as hell, but it turned out to be one of the best introductory lessons I've ever had. For the time being, I'll be doing one a month, as the school is 109 miles away from me.

Scott Larson
8/05/2015 6:57am,
Looks like a decent school at least from the website. I'm interested in hearing more about it. Please report back with your experiences.

Scott Larson
8/16/2015 10:33am,
Good to hear. I know it is tough when you have to travel. My baji teacher is 100 miles away too.

Was the training like you expected it to be? Was it difficult to get accustomed to the difference in style? Do you know the what variation of Baji it is?

DicaxStultux
8/16/2015 1:04pm,
Good to hear. I know it is tough when you have to travel. My baji teacher is 100 miles away too.

Was the training like you expected it to be? Was it difficult to get accustomed to the difference in style? Do you know the what variation of Baji it is?

I didn't know what to expect, honestly. I expected it to be very tough, which it was in its own way, but I think I've seen too many Hong Kong kung fu movies.

Coming from the upright and proud postures of karate, I found it pretty hard to relax. My chest was sticking out like a karateka, and I was definitely very blocky in my movements. My teacher was able to show me what I did wrong and how to fix it, so I've spent at least an hour a day since working on that. Also, the balance is very different, and Mandarin is trickier than Japanese.

As for the variation, I think it's the newer, prettier wushu style, which has its ups and downs. Looks a lot like this, especially the palms.

lZqdb5fyc2M

DicaxStultux
8/16/2015 1:06pm,
In case that didn't work, https://youtu.be/lZqdb5fyc2M

Still learning the BB code.

Christmas Spirit
8/16/2015 1:18pm,
Thanks for the update and your BB code seemed to have worked fine... which is impressive. I still can't get videos to work correctly all the time.

I didn't see Baji on the class schedule or any mention of it.

DicaxStultux
8/16/2015 1:36pm,
Thanks for the update and your BB code seemed to have worked fine... which is impressive. I still can't get videos to work correctly all the time.

I didn't see Baji on the class schedule or any mention of it.
Excellent, wish I could see it on my phone! Android can't show Flash videos.

Check under "Education" and then "Styles." http://www.luohanwushu.com/education/styles/

I didn't see it on there before, either, I called and asked if he offered it. The Center does a demo at Tulsa's Lunar New Year every year, mainly Tij, but I figured, hey, Bāj and Tij are very interrelated, maybe he can at least offer a substitute or point me in the right direction.

I'm considering in the future learning from other Bāj instructors, maybe even making a trip to Mngcūn. I'm going to my teacher about tournaments with combat, and in January, I might have a minor windfall. If that is the case, I'm gonna be crosstraining at a more local school, because I want to compete. I always got fucked out of it in the past, and, let's face it, CMA is much cooler than the karate, hahaha. I'll upload videos as soon as I have videos to upload.

Christmas Spirit
8/16/2015 1:44pm,
Excellent, wish I could see it on my phone! Android can't show Flash videos.

Check under "Education" and then "Styles." http://www.luohanwushu.com/education/styles/

I didn't see it on there before, either, I called and asked if he offered it. The Center does a demo at Tulsa's Lunar New Year every year, mainly Tij, but I figured, hey, Bāj and Tij are very interrelated, maybe he can at least offer a substitute or point me in the right direction.

I'm considering in the future learning from other Bāj instructors, maybe even making a trip to Mngcūn. I'm going to my teacher about tournaments with combat, and in January, I might have a minor windfall. If that is the case, I'm gonna be crosstraining at a more local school, because I want to compete. I always got fucked out of it in the past, and, let's face it, CMA is much cooler than the karate, hahaha. I'll upload videos as soon as I have videos to upload.
Hahaha! Well there it is. I no interweb good today it seems.

Thank you.

Scott Larson
8/16/2015 3:54pm,
I didn't know what to expect, honestly. I expected it to be very tough, which it was in its own way, but I think I've seen too many Hong Kong kung fu movies.

Coming from the upright and proud postures of karate, I found it pretty hard to relax. My chest was sticking out like a karateka, and I was definitely very blocky in my movements. My teacher was able to show me what I did wrong and how to fix it, so I've spent at least an hour a day since working on that. Also, the balance is very different, and Mandarin is trickier than Japanese.

As for the variation, I think it's the newer, prettier wushu style, which has its ups and downs. Looks a lot like this, especially the palms.

lZqdb5fyc2M

Makes sense given the instructors background. Well, keep up the good work.

DicaxStultux
8/16/2015 5:28pm,
Makes sense given the instructors background. Well, keep up the good work.

Thanks, I will. It feels great to finally be learning CMA, especially this style.

Softie
8/24/2015 5:47am,
Wow, I remember hearing about baji way back and always wanted to give it a go. Sadly, there are no instructors anywhere near my region, so I waould be greatful for any information regarding your experiences there.
Have fun!

mrtnira
9/09/2015 5:40pm,
捕俘拳套路图解 http://bbs.tiexue.net/post_3286181_1.html The combat method of the Public Security Bureau in China during the Cultural Revolution based some of their combat method on Baji. It's been an interesting journey through history.

mrtnira
9/09/2015 8:07pm,
形意拳与八极拳 Boxing and Bajiquan
ISBN: 7500944608, and also 9787500944607 (ISBN 10, and ISBN 13)

DicaxStultux
9/11/2015 2:02am,
Wow, I remember hearing about baji way back and always wanted to give it a go. Sadly, there are no instructors anywhere near my region, so I waould be greatful for any information regarding your experiences there.
Have fun!

I'm guessing you already know about the basic philosophy of Bāj, so I don't need to elaborate, haha. We went over "chan" energy, or reeling, coiling energy, primarily. Much in the same way a boxer rolls over his punches, twists the waist, and "crushes chalk" under his toes, Bāj does the same in a few different ways, depending on the technique used. The specific style I'm learning is a newer variant, of the modern wushu variety, so it features techniques that resemble Tongbei and Piguaquan/zhang, including a major chan movement I learned that has an application to defending a mid-level kick by catching, elbowing, and blasting the opponent with a palm strike while lifting the leg.

Another I learned was a defense against the ubiquitous wrist grab, using a minor chan movement, followed by a punch. Both use the zhenjiao stomp, although the energy of the follow-up strikes is very different. The palm explodes outwards, and the head is turned to avoid strikes to the face, while the punch is a forward bursting motion.

I also learned a cross energy strike, sort of like a shortened haymaker, and a basic palm strike. All of these techniques incorporate a stamp to help focus weight-shifting and generating a "bounce" to increase power for an instant, while also grounding yourself to prevent being knocked off-balance.

I didn't learn much, I'll be going back on the 19th to demonstrate and hopefully pick up more, but it's a fascinating, and beautiful style. I utilized some of the techniques on heavy bags and with a friend with whom I used to train kickboxing and karate against his Muay Thai, and against a co-worker who does some pretty hardcore taekwon-do with a kickboxing emphasis, and had some terrific results. The techniques also flow into my boxing and kickboxing experience pretty seamlessly so far, and I'm hoping to continue to have opportunities to train application, because I really want to compete.

DicaxStultux
9/11/2015 2:06am,
捕俘拳套路图解 http://bbs.tiexue.net/post_3286181_1.html The combat method of the Public Security Bureau in China during the Cultural Revolution based some of their combat method on Baji. It's been an interesting journey through history.

I definitely see bājqun there, and some pgu and maybe some stuff from chngqun. Very interesting.