PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as legit Krav Maga?

LuvsAsia
6/06/2015 4:48am,
Lets just say you were going to give a review of Krav Maga. Obviously the way it doesn't work is like in the movies where one guy can take on several. But that said, is there anywhere where you can find good Krav training? How good is it compared to other legitimate training? What other good combative systems are there that work if it doesn't?

Bar Humbug
6/10/2015 12:50pm,
Lets just say you were going to give a review of Krav Maga. Obviously the way it doesn't work is like in the movies where one guy can take on several. But that said, is there anywhere where you can find good Krav training? How good is it compared to other legitimate training? What other good combative systems are there that work if it doesn't?

Firstly, the search function is your friend, plenty of threads dealing with this topic.

To be succinct: Don't do Krav, Systema, KFM etc. there not cost effective at best and down-right scams at worst

First question:
The only place to learn real Krav is the IDF, everything else (imo) is self-defence according to somebody, with questionable experience, marketed as Krav.

Second question:
It sucks, its poor on a cost-benefit rate at best in comparison to other MA/combat sports, and given that the training techniques,emphasis on alive training and competition focus of good MA mean that you have a higher level of skill, dealing with a trained opponent instead of drilling situations with light sparing, its simply better to do a good standup martial art and good grappling style.

A personal example, it would cost me 20 for a lesson a week in Krav in London, right now I pay 40 a month for up to 6 lessons a week in MMA/ Muay Thai, and 50 a school term (so three months roughly) for Judo twice a week. So say I go to five classes a week (2 MMA, two Judo, 1 Muay Thai), my average cost is about 11 a week in training costs, yet I'm getting more than 8x more contact hours with couches/training partners. Krav is simply inefficient both economically and methodologically

Third question:
If your insistent on combatives, do SAMBO, it was initially developed by the Soviets, and has progressed from there into a multi-faceted competition, freestyle and combative training methodology

Otherwise find somewhere to do MMA, or cross train in standup (Muay Thai, Boxing) and grappling (Wrestling, BJJ, Judo)

organic
8/05/2015 2:35pm,
I can't speak to the legitness or not of Krav Maga. A lot of it seems fairly direct and simplistic, with emphasis on psychological conditioning for stressful situations and athletics, which is as it should be.

As for Systema, I personally think it's the be all end all of martial arts. It's done more for me in a shorter time period than anything I've ever experienced. But I have years of experience in boxing, grappling of various sorts, wing chun, and general mma classes. That's part of the magic of systema - it not only allows you to integrate your current practice, but opens up whole new fields to explore within it. Relaxation is a crazy thing.

That said, there is a lot of bullshit systema and bullshit instructors out there. I would stay away from anyone who wasn't part of Ryabko/Vasiliev or Kadochnikov, unless I could really see their technical proficiency and calm. Lack of ego and lack of claims relating to Spetsnaz are good signs.

But at the end of the day, I concur with the above poster - get some experiences in Judo, BJJ, Sambo, Catch, along with some experience in boxing, muay thai, or what have you, and when you go to approach systema you'll have a much greater and more deeply integrated sense of combat with which to work. You should already have some sense of yourself as a fighter, what problems exist in fighting (range, having formed a center vs. not, time, energy efficiency), so that you get the real benefit systema has to offer. It should feel like putting on a glove, or the last piece in a puzzle, that is strange and you hadn't known existed but makes you feel 'this is the way it's supposed to be.'

Hope I did a halfassedly good job of explaining it without getting into a whole technical dissertation. Cheers.