PDA

View Full Version : Norman, OK Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Instructor Arrested For Sexual Assault, Sodomy

jitschix
4/25/2015 12:46am,

Cleon Quentin Self, 38, (above, playing guard in 2012) of Moore, Oklahoma, was charged Friday in Cleveland County District Court with attempted rape, forcible sodomy and two counts of lewd or indecent acts to a child under 16. The arrest affidavit containing the details of the allegations appears to be unavailable online due to the age of the victim.

The victim is one of Self's students, a fourteen year old girl. He is the instructor at Edge Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Norman Oklahoma. Their website is down.

Here is the local news coverage (http://www.normantranscript.com/news/courts_crime_police/norman-jiu-jitsu-coach-charged-with-attempted-rape-lewd-acts/article_d8e7a3c5-5891-59e4-97da-6c9be782a4ad.html).

Self was a coach and helped with children's class, according to contemporaneous Facebook posts, for Sandro Sampaio, a Carlson Gracie BB. He was asked to leave because of complaints by female students, according to Tracy Sampaio. Perhaps Sandro should have checked Self's background before allowing him to teach there.

Here he is fighting Mark Francescutti of BQuick Jiu Jitsu, in 2012 in Dallas. Self is in the white rashguard.

https://youtu.be/dPvB8NiE7yI

Here's a link to his lengthy court record (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/casesearch.asp?query=true&srch=0&web=true&db=all&number=&iLAST=self&iFIRST=cleon&iMIDDLE=&iID=&iDOBL=&iDOBH=&SearchType=0&iDCPT=&iapcasetype=All&idccasetype=All&iDATEL=&iDATEH=&iCLOSEDL=&iCLOSEDH=&iDCType=0&iYear=&iNumber=&icitation=)... in 2013, he was convicted of criminal control and resisting arrest during a situation in which his intoxication appeared to endanger an infant in his car.

In 1999 he pled guilty to DWI. In 2001 pled guilty to another DWI plus some miscellaneous traffic offenses. Had some small claims suits relating to property (rentals, I believe) and then in 2007 pled guilty on a deferral to a third DWI.

A news article about a 2011 arrest (http://www.edmondsun.com/news/local_news/police-use-stop-sticks-stun-gun-in-pursuit/article_00079764-e5a8-5316-82f3-abe7e9fb30ae.html) reads:

"Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 9:26 pm

At about 2:30 a.m. Saturday, dispatch broadcast a report over the radio about a possible intoxicated driver in the area of 15th Street and Coltrane, according to a report filed by Edmond Police Officer Tim Harwell.
On arrival, the officer found a gold Infiniti parked mostly in the intersection, police said. The engine was running and he could see the driver slumped forward in the seat; it appeared that he was asleep, police said.
The officer positioned his car behind the Infiniti, got out of his patrol car and approached it, police said.

In his report, the officer stated that the Infiniti then moved forward and traveled north on Coltrane from 15th Street. The officer engaged his front emergency lights, but the vehicle would not stop. A second officer entered the pursuit and announced the pursuit over the radio.

They continued north on Coltrane to Second Street and did not exceed 40 mph, police said. At Second Street the vehicle turned east and the pursuit did not exceed 45 mph.

Officer Branden Baxley then went ahead of the pursuit and deployed a tire deflation device, police said. The Infiniti slowed as it approached the “stop sticks.”

When officers ordered the suspect out of the car he would not comply, police said. Two officers pulled him out of his car to the ground, police said. In his narrative, Harwell stated that he grasped the arm of the suspect, who immediately pulled away and was reaching back under his body, as if with a purpose.

“I was afraid (the suspect) may be reaching for a weapon in his waist line,” the officer stated. The officer felt like he “needed to react very quickly” to stop the suspect from reaching into his waistband and delivered several “strikes” with his flashlight to the suspect’s right arm, police said.

Still the suspect refused to comply and he continued to resist, police said. In an effort to gain compliance, Harwell delivered three “elbow strikes” to the right side of the suspect’s face and head, police said."

As further information becomes available you will find it here.

Christmas Spirit
4/25/2015 10:05am,
Self was arrested just before 8 p.m. Thursday for the charges, which he admitted in an interview with Norman police, according to a police affidavit.
So for clarity he was arrested this month on April 23rd 2015 for attempted rape, forcible sodomy and two counts of lewd or indecent acts to a child under 16.

The rest of the stories and dates in the article written by jitschix above came from his previous encounters Law Enforcement.

* edit*
maybe it is clear to others but my sleep addled brain didn't process everything clearly at first.

Hertzyscowicz
4/25/2015 12:27pm,
It's starting to look like the difference between BJJ and Catholicism is that lower level guys get to wear white they don't shuffle these guys around to keep their indiscretions from getting to light.

I wondered about all the other arts that don't make Bullshido headlines, and stumbled upon this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNDI8qKflws

Synopsis: GladOS has discovered that some ten to twenty MA teachers get convicted for underage sex crimes each year, and doesn't want people under 18 training martial arts.

1point2
4/25/2015 4:55pm,
Synopsis: GladOS has discovered that some ten to twenty MA teachers get convicted for underage sex crimes each year, and doesn't want people under 18 training martial arts.

That isn't just unworkable, it's baseless. The critical element here that creates an environment for abuse is the presence of a trusted but untrustworthy adult. Priests of all stripes are one. Teachers are another. Coaches of all sports, not just martial arts, are another. The solution is not to take kids out of productive community activities, nor to keep trusted adults out of their lives. It's open communication about the incidents that occur, open communication with children, and a willingness to prosecute instead of protect abusers.

The fact that the BJJ community has a fairly well-developed national community that—having cut their teeth on fake instructors—is ready to shun sexually criminal coaches isn't just a punchline to make fun of the Catholic church. It's one of the most important institutional and community standards any group can have.

Go find the number of reported sex crimes committed by soccer coaches—or track, or tennis—each year, then rethink the idea of banning martial arts for kids.

It is Fake
4/25/2015 6:46pm,
I wondered about all the other arts that don't make Bullshido headlines, and stumbled upon this clip:Uhmmm, you might want to retract this statement. Many have, you need the links?

Hertzyscowicz
4/26/2015 3:58am,
Uhmmm, you might want to retract this statement. Many have, you need the links?

I see. A quick use of the search function indeed turned up a lot of threads on the subject.

gandalf
4/26/2015 9:02am,
These cases of sexual assault and misconduct are really disturbing. I'm saddened to read about them yet glad that they are being exposed and brought to light. I often wonder why so many cases arise in the BJJ and the Martial Community as a whole. I believe a few factors may be contributing causes to this problem (there's probably more i haven't yet considered).

1. Martial Arts in general (including BJJ) attracts damaged people. Many broken people who have serious issues are attracted to martial arts. I guess they feel the martial arts are vessel to help them through their problems, and of course it very well may be. However the fact remains a lot of these people are dealing with serious issues.

2. Most BJJ Acadamies have a wide spectrum of students across all ages, we (as a sport) boast "it's for everyone", because of this we have children, teens, and adults training alongside each other or relatively within the same time frame. This can become a very attractive venue for sexual predators.

3. BJJ has recently (the last 10years) had a huge explosion in popularity, in my opinion it's the fastest growing martial art. Of course this makes it difficult to keep up with the demand and less than desirable teachers are able to gather a sustainable following.

4. The cultist quality that people are so willing to succumb to and attach to their BJJ instructors. I would wager that many instructors hold an overwhelming amount of influence over their students, much more than your typical math or history teacher.

I think to lower the number of incidents of abuse we need to address many issues, police background checks are a good start, but probably don't go far enough.

The Villain
4/26/2015 3:51pm,
This is horrible.

ghost55
4/26/2015 4:44pm,
I remember that awhile ago at my old MT gym some guy was joking about having a tee shirt that said "I do Jiu-Jitsu so I can rape men". That shirt is a lot less funny these days.

1point2
4/26/2015 6:21pm,
The cultist quality that people are so willing to succumb to and attach to their BJJ instructors. I would wager that many instructors hold an overwhelming amount of influence over their students, much more than your typical math or history teacher.

I think to lower the number of incidents of abuse we need to address many issues, police background checks are a good start, but probably don't go far enough.

You make several good points, but the thing to remember is that this isn't problem specific to the BJJ community. Plenty of math and history teachers commit sex crimes (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=math+teacher+sex+abuse). So do karate instructors, TKD instructors, judo instructors, soccer coaches, and all the rest.

Background checks are nice, but they only prevent repeat offenders. Many of the cases we're seeing are first-time offenders, so background checks help not at all. Policies about out-of-town trips, as I believe judo governing bodies have, I believe can be helpful. But I'm not sure I see a cure-all technocratic solution here.