PDA

View Full Version : TKD club teacher credibility at CSUN

LuvsAsia
4/14/2015 9:53pm,
I have a very legitimate Karate teacher here at my school. He taught the LAPD personal defense. However, I also have a TKD teacher that I don't know much about. Does anyone know the credibility of the TKD teacher at CSUN because I have like an Orange Belt in TKD before I came to college and I'm thinking of signing up for a martial art next year.

Otherwise, I might just take the Karate.

Also, which is better for defense: WTF TKD, or SKIF Karate?

Thanks.

Best,

LuvsAsia

ghost55
4/14/2015 10:21pm,
Do Judo/Sambo: http://www.csun.edu/~hbecs130/judo/judo.html

kanegs
4/14/2015 11:32pm,
Looks like it's a club. I found a video here: https://youtu.be/QlC53oezcqE

Not all TKD is created equal. However, after seeing two black belts practice kicks without attempting to guard their faces, It doesn't look practical for defense.

gold_ax666
4/15/2015 3:13am,
Looks like it's a club. I found a video here: https://youtu.be/QlC53oezcqE

Not all TKD is created equal. However, after seeing two black belts practice kicks without attempting to guard their faces, It doesn't look practical for defense.

Does anyone find it odd that the instructor is wearing grey trousers and purple t shirt and not a dobok? or demonstrate much?

goodlun
4/15/2015 4:17pm,
I have a very legitimate Karate teacher here at my school. He taught the LAPD personal defense. However, I also have a TKD teacher that I don't know much about. Does anyone know the credibility of the TKD teacher at CSUN because I have like an Orange Belt in TKD before I came to college and I'm thinking of signing up for a martial art next year.

Thanks.

Best,

LuvsAsia

Do not fall into the teaches
Police
Military
Bouncers
Security
or anyone else trap.

Police officers do not mix it up hand to hand with Karate. They gang up on someone and man handle them.
Military Shoot people
Bouncers and Security also manhandle people at best.

I could literally go and teach Navy Seals xyz combat techniques it would add 0 credibility to my martial arts resume.

Karate ranges from really terrible to fairly good
Typically good Karate is going to be Knock Down/Full Contact Karate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_contact_karate
Mostly comes down to Kyokushin or an off shot of it.
I know you saw the video on aliveness in another thread so that is your measuring stick of what is going to be effective.
Typically a full contact sport martial art is going to prepare you the most for self defense situation.

LuvsAsia
4/16/2015 9:17pm,
Does the Karate club look at all legit? I think the Karate teacher is a high level in Karate but I don't know if his credibility is good either. He's supposed to be the highest belt possible. He's also supposed to teach Shokotan. Is Shokotan not credible as a form of Karate? You said Kyukoshin. Shokotan then is bad right, unless its directly from Kyokushin. Which one is better? I could give you more of the Karate instructor's info:

Hanshi (SKIF)
Hachi-Dan (8th Degree), SKIF
Hachi-Dan (8th Degree), Hobukan International Federation
International recognition as a certified class "A" instructor, examiner and referee
Served as a technical advisor to the motion picture industry
Taught self-defense to the Los Angeles Police Department

The last two of these don't mean anything right? How about the first four?

ghost55
4/17/2015 9:02am,
Shotokan was the base upon which Kyokushin was built. It can be pretty hit or miss though. It really depends on how it is trained.

JudOWNED
4/17/2015 10:32am,

Thanks.

Best,

LuvsAsia

You got judo there, I'd say do judo! But that's just me. If you really want to do a standup art, and those are your choices, it should be pretty easy for you to be able to tell. WTF tae kwon do is a Full Contact Olympic sport. While it certainly has its limitations because of the protective equipment and the limited rule set it is still a combat sport. That means two things. First you should be able to tell if it's a decent club by looking at the competition records of the instructor and the other students. Second, if the karate only practices noncontact point sparring, you know the taekwondo is going to be better simply by virtue of at least being a full contact combat sport.

As for the karate school, you need to go and watch a class or two, and ask questions about how they spar and how they compete. If they don't spar, or spar only with very light contact, I would pass. If they do spar with at least some contact, then you just need to watch them spar or compete and compare it to what you thought about the taekwondo clubs spars and competes. It's not rocket science, really.

In less you want to get into the historical aspect of something, or the philosophical aspect of something, martial arts are ultimately about what works in a fight. That doesn't involve or require A lot of talking and theorizing. It's relatively easy to demonstrate whether a martial art works or not in the context of a fight. Watch them fight. You can see if it works. And if they don't fight, then they're not really doing martial arts.

Bneterasedmynam
4/18/2015 8:26am,
You got judo there, I'd say do judo! But that's just me. If you really want to do a standup art, and those are your choices, it should be pretty easy for you to be able to tell. WTF tae kwon do is a Full Contact Olympic sport. While it certainly has its limitations because of the protective equipment and the limited rule set it is still a combat sport. That means two things. First you should be able to tell if it's a decent club by looking at the competition records of the instructor and the other students. Second, if the karate only practices noncontact point sparring, you know the taekwondo is going to be better simply by virtue of at least being a full contact combat sport.

As for the karate school, you need to go and watch a class or two, and ask questions about how they spar and how they compete. If they don't spar, or spar only with very light contact, I would pass. If they do spar with at least some contact, then you just need to watch them spar or compete and compare it to what you thought about the taekwondo clubs spars and competes. It's not rocket science, really.

In less you want to get into the historical aspect of something, or the philosophical aspect of something, martial arts are ultimately about what works in a fight. That doesn't involve or require A lot of talking and theorizing. It's relatively easy to demonstrate whether a martial art works or not in the context of a fight. Watch them fight. You can see if it works. And if they don't fight, then they're not really doing martial arts.

Let's be honest though judo has limitations too. Rousey's last fight proved this. She limited my payperview experience to 14 seconds.

As to the question of the thread, I usually find that karate has overall better training just for the fact that they use their hands more.

Bneterasedmynam
4/18/2015 8:35am,

Let's be honest though judo has limitations too. Rousey's last fight proved this. She limited my payperview experience to 14 seconds.

As to the question of the thread, I usually find that karate has overall better training just for the fact that they use their hands more.

LuvsAsia
4/18/2015 10:27am,
I could also do boxing, aikido, kung fu, tai chi, BJJ, or wrestling. Also, I know for a fact that boxing spars full contact. I don't have a video of the TKD team sparring but I know they do spar.

BJJ is much more full contact I think. I could definitely do boxing though because I've dabbled in that. Should I instead do one of the above within this post?