PDA

View Full Version : Full Contact Hapkido Exists: Yes or No?

Pages : [1] 2

BFGalbraith
2/23/2015 7:58pm,
When I was growing up in Kitsap County in the 80's, Korean martial arts were generally considered full contact and competitive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Esf7waFOY

Supposedly even the YMCA's Hapkido class had full contact sparring that involved a fairly square stance and keeping their hands up. This was demonstrated to me by students of the class, never saw the class with my own eyes. That is why I found this hype easy to believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJX4L304PSo

But when I started looking for individual matches of this great new alternative type of Korean MA sparring, all I could find was point fighting matches. Then when I re-watched the above the above hype, I noticed the 3rd man in the ring raising his hand every time a move was executed... so in other words that footage could have been taken from a point fighting matches, and further more any contact could have been completely accidental.

Is there any full contact, continuous Korean non-MMA competition that allows leg kicks, sweeps, take downs etc.? If so are any of these Hapkido specific? If not, do Hapkido practitioners participate in any of them?

JudOWNED
2/23/2015 9:21pm,
"Then when I re-watched the above the above hype, I noticed the 3rd man in the ring raising his hand every time a move was executed... so in other words that footage could have been taken from a point fighting matches,"

Well, Olympic TKD is full contact with wins by knockout. However, points are not on a must system, but are awarded for each individual technique that lands. So, it could be something like that. Otherwise, I remember seeing some full contact competition many years ago that looked like mma in a gi, with striking, throws and even some limited groundwork. Can't remember what it was called and can't find it now. But maybe someone else will. Remember it was billed as hapkido, though.

svt2026
2/25/2015 4:01pm,
"Then when I re-watched the above the above hype, I noticed the 3rd man in the ring raising his hand every time a move was executed... so in other words that footage could have been taken from a point fighting matches,"

Well, Olympic TKD is full contact with wins by knockout. However, points are not on a must system, but are awarded for each individual technique that lands. So, it could be something like that. Otherwise, I remember seeing some full contact competition many years ago that looked like mma in a gi, with striking, throws and even some limited groundwork. Can't remember what it was called and can't find it now. But maybe someone else will. Remember it was billed as hapkido, though.

Pro Hapkido

BFGalbraith
3/06/2015 12:47pm,
Pro Hapkido

OK thanks, this explains it. In other Pro Hapkido videos it's suggested limited ground fighting (arm bar submissions) are allowed, but the only full tournament match I have found online is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV8DpJrNhcU

And that sparring is good. Makes me wonder if TKD people participate in pro hapkido tournaments, and makes me wonder if the Olympic TKD rules are headed in that direction...

svt2026
3/06/2015 12:55pm,
OK thanks, this explains it. In other Pro Hapkido videos it's suggested limited ground fighting (arm bar submissions) are allowed, but the only full tournament match I have found online is:

And that sparring is good. Makes me wonder if TKD people participate in pro hapkido tournaments, and makes me wonder if the Olympic TKD rules are headed in that direction...

I doubt Olympic TKD will turn into this. TKD does not teach this even though a lot of TKD people will learn some Hapkido since they both go hand in hand. Due to a lot of Korean masters learning both. Im a Hapkido guy but learned TKD by association.

Omega Supreme
3/06/2015 1:20pm,

Heh, I was there. I think there's a video of me doing some pro hapkido stuff.

RealFolkBlues
3/28/2015 10:19am,
Heh, I was there. I think there's a video of me doing some pro hapkido stuff.

What was your opinion of the sparring/ruleset there? It looks like there were no head hits allowed?

Omega Supreme
3/28/2015 4:59pm,
What was your opinion of the sparring/ruleset there? It looks like there were no head hits allowed?

No head blows and no punching on the ground. Reminds me a bit of sport Jujitsu.

Bruce W. Sims
4/04/2015 10:15pm,
No head blows and no punching on the ground. Reminds me a bit of sport Jujitsu.

The "short answer" is "yes". Full Contact Hapkido exists but its almost never pursued. The history of Hapkido includes its found, CHOI Yong Sul using what he was taught to help round-up stragglers and desserters in Hokkaido during the Second World War. Such folks could be pretty desperate and were looked-upon with disgust by the patriotic Japanese. The up-shot was if someone got hurt or killed resisting noone wept a great deal.

When Choi began to teach there was a lot of push-back about how painful and debilitating the training was. JI Han Jae, credited with actually developing the term "hapkido" went a long way towards making the art more marketable by adding acrobatic kicks and softening many of the techniques. Ever since then, the Hapkido community has been one big "pissing contest" about whose pratices are the "real deal". Fact is that the only way it can go back to Choi's original art is if folks stop givin' a fig what happens to the other guy. Fact is NOBODY wants to compete when there are absolutely no rules or concern for what happens to the participants. How does THAT get to be fun, right?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

notfromvenus
5/21/2015 3:23pm,
The video looks like one of the kinds of sparring we do in HKD where I go. It's striking to the body (hogu area) and head, plus throws and sweeps. Continuous until you hit the ground, because the hogu etc make it kinda hard to roll around on the floor. We do groundwork, too, but without the gear.

I don't know how common that is, though, or even if it's exactly what you're talking about. We don't go 100% no-rules full-contact everywhere, because we're all regular people with regular jobs, not Navy SEALs or pro fighters.

chaosexmachina
7/17/2015 4:43pm,
It's not Korean, but there is a style of aikido called Hantenkai aikido. Their ruleset looks like a cross between Kyokushin karate rules (no face punches, headkicks allowed, etc) and Shodokan aikido (meaning they can do the 17 'takedowns' of Tomiki-ryu). Good luck finding anything outside of Japan, though.

judoka01
8/09/2015 6:22pm,
Its mainly kyokushin karate rules from what Ive seen, which is fine if you understand thats not quite as good as 'live sparring' but its better than nothing.

JarethG
8/16/2015 1:07pm,
I can't say for sure is there are any full contact Hapkido tournaments or anything like that, as I don't really compete, and I am not involved in the tournament circuit.

I can say however, that in my school, we have what we call Hapkido sparring. That is to say, we take the gloves off (literally) so that we can effect the grabs and holds. Rather than typical sparring, the object is to use the Hapkido skills we learn and practice in as close to a practical situation as possible. So, it does happen, at least in out school. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, I will try to answer them.

BackFistMonkey
8/19/2015 7:36am,
I can't say for sure is there are any full contact Hapkido tournaments or anything like that, as I don't really compete, and I am not involved in the tournament circuit.

I can say however, that in my school, we have what we call Hapkido sparring. That is to say, we take the gloves off (literally) so that we can effect the grabs and holds. Rather than typical sparring, the object is to use the Hapkido skills we learn and practice in as close to a practical situation as possible. So, it does happen, at least in out school. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, I will try to answer them.
That is not full contact. That is simple randori and common even in the crappiest of schools.

"Hapkido skills" as you call them should encompass all the skills you learn not just stand up grappling and throws. Striking, kicking, throwing, grappling, and submissions. All of which can and have been done together, with MMA glove safetly. If you can't put it all together under medium+ contact weekly you aren't learning ****.

With a little research into your own art, you can see and find that INDEED there is full contact sparring out there! If you read the thread before posting you could also have seen that.

Welcome to Bullshido noob.

Omega Supreme
8/19/2015 10:52am,
The "short answer" is "yes". Full Contact Hapkido exists but its almost never pursued. The history of Hapkido includes its found, CHOI Yong Sul using what he was taught to help round-up stragglers and desserters in Hokkaido during the Second World War. Such folks could be pretty desperate and were looked-upon with disgust by the patriotic Japanese. The up-shot was if someone got hurt or killed resisting noone wept a great deal.

When Choi began to teach there was a lot of push-back about how painful and debilitating the training was. JI Han Jae, credited with actually developing the term "hapkido" went a long way towards making the art more marketable by adding acrobatic kicks and softening many of the techniques. Ever since then, the Hapkido community has been one big "pissing contest" about whose pratices are the "real deal". Fact is that the only way it can go back to Choi's original art is if folks stop givin' a fig what happens to the other guy. Fact is NOBODY wants to compete when there are absolutely no rules or concern for what happens to the participants. How does THAT get to be fun, right?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Why the **** are you quoting me on this? (did you actually use the word fig?).

JarethG
9/21/2015 6:35pm,
That is not full contact. That is simple randori and common even in the crappiest of schools.

"Hapkido skills" as you call them should encompass all the skills you learn not just stand up grappling and throws. Striking, kicking, throwing, grappling, and submissions. All of which can and have been done together, with MMA glove safetly. If you can't put it all together under medium+ contact weekly you aren't learning ****.

With a little research into your own art, you can see and find that INDEED there is full contact sparring out there! If you read the thread before posting you could also have seen that.

Welcome to Bullshido noob.

Well, actually it is full contact, but to fully describe it, you would have to actually come and witness it. Words would never fully describe what is going on. Thanks for showing your lack of reading comprehension though. Keep trying!