PDA

View Full Version : Jiu Jitsu Street Fight

plasma
1/29/2015 12:40pm,

So it has been going around the web a video of an Alliance Jiu Jitsu Purple Belt being attacked during a pickup basketball game and using BJJ to control and defend himself. Bullshido has always frowned on arts that do not pressure test their techniques and do not perform what is called "Alive Drilling." Now one of the best ways to pressure test techniques is via sport. Despite the rules, combat sports are the closest most of us will ever be to a "real fight" and is a safe way to try to apply techniques against a resisting opponent trying to do the same to you. However, there are many out there that claim that their techniques are too dangerous to use in sparring and playing by the rules will get you trouble once to go to the deadly streets with multiple opponents, broken glass and whatever else there is. While the streets are in fact unpredictable, human movement is not. So lets go through the Video blow by blow and see what happened and how Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was used in a self defense situation.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=792262037516553&set=vb.126070887469008&type=2&theater

0:06 - Initial Attack - You can can see the Purple Belt (PB) Cover and drop to the advancing attacker. This doesn't look like a guard pull but more falling back after trying to dodge a surprise sucker punch

0:07 - PB gets double underhooks on the way down and keeps tight to limit damage from strikes

0:09 - Half Guard Underhook, opting for a headlock instead of an overhook the attacker leaves his back exposed.

0:11 - On the Back with both hooks, arm around the neck. At this point within 5 seconds the PB went from getting sucker punched to having in a great position with the opportunity to choke his attacker unconscious.

0:14 - Attacker's buddies step in to break them apart. At this point its can be said that the attacker's buddy can start kicking the PB. While true it should be noted that the PB is no longer on the bottom and if it turned poorly with the friends he can quickly and easily get back to his feet.

0:16 - As the friends step in to save his buddy, the PB lets go some of his own strikes as well as starting to disengage in case the attacker's buddy started to become an issue. The attacker uses the opportunity to get back on top and the buddies back off.

0:18 - The attacker's buddies are trying to save him by grabbing the PB's arm, PB is now defending him with only his legs. He is basically fighting two people now.

0:22 - Attacker is trying to take advantage of the 2 on 1 to get on top and land some strikes. He fails miserably and walks into an armbar instead.

0:25 - Now the fight is back to 1 on 1 with the attacker getting his arm free. At this point the PB is immediately transitioning to the leg.

0:26 - The fight immediately goes back to the ground with a sweep

0:27 - PB has a hold of the leg and transitions straight into a leg control position.

0:31 - PB drags the leg across for 50/50 guard except the position is not 50/50 if one person doesn't know what he is doing

0:34 - With the leg control and the ability to heel hook the attacker into the surgeon's office the PB tries to defuse the situation.

What do we see here? With years of combat sport and high resistant pressure tested techniques the PB is never is any real danger, was able to keep abreast of the surroundings and transition between sweeps, control positions and submissions without taking any damage. At the same time, deescalating the situation. Now you can argue what if the guys buddies started attacking instead of just trying to pull him off. Yeah, that is a terrible situation and hopefully the PB had buddies of his own to ensure that didn’t happen. However, if that wasn’t the case almost anyone would of been in a lot of trouble. Remember, the PB didn’t bring the fight to the ground, they ended up there after dodging a sucker punch. If there was more than 1 attacker the undertook 3 seconds after the attack could of been used to escape and stand up. What we see is someone getting attacked but keeping calm in a way only shown by people that are used to being in these high pressure situations and in positions familiar to how they train.

“We don’t raise to the occasion but fall to our level of training.”

Devil
1/29/2015 12:56pm,
Nice work.

ghost55
1/29/2015 1:08pm,
I never knew that the threat of a heel hook could be so street.

Omega Supreme
1/29/2015 1:24pm,
I feel that a lot more people are educated on grappling in a fight, which is the reason everybody didn't just jump in to break it up.

BKR
1/29/2015 1:28pm,
As usual, the video comments are priceless and give huge clues as to the experience level of the commenters.

For example, the guys who thought the defender went to the ground/pulled guard on purpose...

Or the "I would just have judo-throwed him, end of story". Yeah, with all my years of Judo I didn't see much opportunity to "judo throw" the attacker. Like, what, before the guy swung and the defender slipped trying to avoid the blow ? Talk about what would have been an use of excessive force !

Great job on the right-up, Plasma !

Drunken Soim
1/29/2015 2:14pm,
Awesome analysis, Plasma. I saw the video link in my Facebook feed, but only watched it now.

I try my best to avoid reading the comments - I get angry to the point of having headaches. What pisses me off the most is that many trolls try to demean BJJ in favor of their own MA. As if theirs would be better or even of any use at all in the same situation, let alone in a worse situation.

nahualito
1/29/2015 2:38pm,
Great analysis, is interesting that the PB had the control to stop and warn him, shows how calm and under control he was of the situation.

Is also interesting to see MMA bring back to everyone what "hell hook", "knee bar" or "arm bar" is, the pure treat of it made the attacker realize he might want to walk.

BKR
1/29/2015 6:57pm,
I feel that a lot more people are educated on grappling in a fight, which is the reason everybody didn't just jump in to break it up.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe they thought the attacker was out of line too, or maybe didn't really know him ? Good point on more people being educated in grappling.

TEA
2/04/2015 10:16am,
This was obviously not a r34l str33t fight, so it validates NOTHING!!! They weren't on the str33t even. There was no broken glass, lava or AIDS needles littering the ground. There were no droogies in steel toed combat boots kicking the PB in the head as soon as they saw an opportunity. No one pulled a knife or a gun. There were no screaming damsels in distress. No leather clad bikers. The lights were on. It wasn't snowing. The attacker didn't grab the PB's wrist first. Alcohol does not seem to have been a factor. A pack of wild dogs did not intervene and start chewing the PB's face off.

Really, until you can find and example that includes most of these variables, I will steadfastly hold to my opinion that a combination of _ing _un, Aikido and Phil Elmore's "Street Sword" is the best thing for Teh D34dly Str33t!!!!!!!

BKR
2/04/2015 10:24am,
Has the jiu jitsu guy posted anything regarding the fight ? As in what he might have done better, what started the fight, etc ?

itwasntme
2/04/2015 12:35pm,
Has the jiu jitsu guy posted anything regarding the fight ? As in what he might have done better, what started the fight, etc ?

I believe it was the ADCC Facebook page that posted an article with a longer video showing that the fight started over both parties talking trash about the other's ball game.

Edit: http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/blog/the-best-form-of-self-defense-is-to-walk-away/

TEA
2/04/2015 4:20pm,
An interesting counter argument to the prevailing narrative:

http://youtu.be/Q2CVZC3NCp0

http://youtu.be/Q2CVZC3NCp0

BKR
2/04/2015 4:45pm,
I believe it was the ADCC Facebook page that posted an article with a longer video showing that the fight started over both parties talking trash about the other's ball game.

Edit: http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/blog/the-best-form-of-self-defense-is-to-walk-away/

Yes, the whole thing could have likely have been avoided. Isn't that usually the case ?

TEA
2/04/2015 5:13pm,
Unedited video:

http://youtu.be/27FH-nXP1xU

01:17 PB: "I'll whoop your ass."

PB certainly did not really do much to deescalate.

01:18 to 01:24 Rahshguard Guy "you want some" "that you talking' about" while dropping center of gravity, getting on to the balls of his feet and circling off to PB's weak side before hauling back and throwing a big looping punch.

This is the most telegraphed "sucker punch" ever. It's only really a sucker punch in that only a total sucker wouldn't have seen it coming. Yet, PB neither tries to deescalate, which would require an apology for the "I'll whoop your ass" comment at this point, nor does he try to take a more defensive posture to avoid getting punched or, worse yet, suckered by an overhand feint into a shoot, double leg and slam. He stands flat footed, upright and with his hands down at his side instead. He's looking RG wasn't a wrestler.