PDA

View Full Version : Sun Yi's Martial Arts Academy of Columbia

LexingtonKarate
12/21/2014 4:29pm,
Sun Yi's Martial Arts Academy is a Taekwondo school in Lexington, SC. We are a Family Martial Arts Center, this is a traditional Taekwondo school taught by Jason Elkins, a 5th Degree Black Belt.

We are a family friendly program, therefore our classes are ages 4-6 and 7 & up (Beginner and Advanced). We do offer sparring but it it Taekwon do point style sparring, not MMA or other styles. We focus on the traditional Taekwondo stlye of sparring. We push our kids and adults to take part in sparring but contact is always around medium.

The atmosphere and trainign is superb though, if Taekwondo is the martial art for you, then you have come to the right place! We offer a very supportive, clean and

Sun Yi's Martial Arts Academy
100 Park Place Court
Lexington, SC 29072
(803) 767-4558

Chili Pepper
12/21/2014 5:18pm,
A 5 for weapons instruction? Some explanation is in order.

LexingtonKarate
12/21/2014 9:50pm,
On the ratings it says "light sparring" which I assume is similar to point style and other light forms of sparring. The ratings seemed to have to do with the level of contact, not the specialty for the weapons section, that is all.

Chili Pepper
12/22/2014 9:49am,
On the ratings it says "light sparring" which I assume is similar to point style and other light forms of sparring. The ratings seemed to have to do with the level of contact, not the specialty for the weapons section, that is all.

It's specifically for weapons. The level of contact in empty hands sparring is addressed in the Aliveness rating.

The only reason I asked is that one doesn't normally see much weapons-work in a TKD school. A rating of 5 is reasonable for most clubs, which might do only forms, or light-contact sparring.