PDA

View Full Version : Does punching damage your fingers dexterity ?

Phong Nguyen
11/28/2014 10:40am,
My job requires dexterity to perform tasks, should I take any combative sport? I dont intend to compete anyway, just want to train.

DdlR
12/01/2014 6:15pm,
I assume you mean punching solid objects, like heavy bags or sparring partners (?)

There are plenty of combat sports that don't involve much, or even any punching -especially grappling styles like judo or wrestling - but obviously any such activity carries a small risk of accidental hand or finger injuries.

Fuzzy
12/02/2014 4:35am,
Normal everyday punching/bagwork isn't really going to affect you. I'm a programmer by trade and even when I'm training 4 times a week I don't have any trouble touch-typing at speed.

That said, there's always the chance you'll do something stupid or have an accident and break a finger/sprain a wrist or whatever.

soft touch
12/02/2014 6:20am,
Normal everyday punching/bagwork isn't really going to affect you. I'm a programmer by trade and even when I'm training 4 times a week I don't have any trouble touch-typing at speed.

That said, there's always the chance you'll do something stupid or have an accident and break a finger/sprain a wrist or whatever.
ditto to this, the normal activities of bagwork etc don't give me issues. the only time my fingers have issues is when I **** up and jar or fracture them

Sent from my GT-I9100

W. Rabbit
12/02/2014 10:34am,
My job requires dexterity to perform tasks, should I take any combative sport? I dont intend to compete anyway, just want to train.

What's your job.

Permalost
12/02/2014 12:04pm,
I've been punching a bag somewhat regularly for like a decade and haven't noticed any loss of dexterity. However, when I was a teenager, sometime after a hard heavy bag session my hands would kinda shake. After more time and practice they stopped doing that.

Phong Nguyen
12/03/2014 12:14pm,
What's your job.

Actually I havent got a job yet, I am studying general practioner and some of the tasks they require me to do need dexterity to get complete.
Thank you bullies, I think I wil continue with my boxing class, and try to keep injuries away.

Ron_Ocata
4/07/2015 2:47am,
If you really require precise finger movement (e.g. in drawing) be aware of anything rough on your finger tips. I draw a lot for fun and I have some talent, but I noticed a decline on my skill when I started Judo. The rough Gi grinded my fingertips. Usually, it's not something you would really notice, but with my drawing I did.

For striking arts, I guess if you don't start shaking (without having sour muscles) then it's alright. I have essential tremor (thankfully barely noteable yet), but it's genetics, not martial arts.

RynoGreene
4/10/2015 3:20pm,
I'm a video game artist, and have went through stretches where I've done routine hard bag work, and never had a problem with it.

With gi-grappling, I have occasionally gotten finger strains, minor injuries and fatigue. Not that often, but it has happened.

Stickfighting causes moderate finger injuries semi-regularly, with occasional severe ones which definitely affected my work at times.

Mor Sao
4/12/2015 9:39am,
I hit things, break things and needle people for a living.

No worries if you train safely and sanely.

And take care of your body.

fedaiyin
5/17/2015 10:36am,
I play guitar and in my job I need dexterity in my hands. I do karate but donīt do makiwara training, instead do bag boxing (my sensei did a lot of kick boxing) but I always strip my hands and puch after some workout, never cold, in 30 years never had an injury. But in all contact ma is always a risk of an injury.