PDA

View Full Version : You're Caught in a Riot - What Do You Do?

Phrost
11/25/2014 10:26am,
http://i.imgur.com/Zl0co0z.jpg

This is the official thread for the Ferguson Riots of 2014, and our opportunity to discuss riot survival tactics, including property defense, protest tactics including how to identify and deal with agents provocateur and tear gas, and anything related to the subject.

Note: racism will not be tolerated, so any of you jackasses lurking from Stormfront should just keep lurking.

Have fun.

Bneterasedmynam
11/25/2014 11:28am,
I'm going to say that the best defense to a riot is the same as the best defense to a RNC, don't get caught in it to begin with. However if bad luck does take that path then evade and escape is probably the best option. The bad thing about riots is that you're likely to hit by both sides regardless of the side you take. There are rioters that are going to be looking for any target to take out their anger on. The cops will see everyone without a badge as a potential threat.

Christmas Spirit
11/25/2014 11:36am,
Do not engage, constantly disengage, help cover the retreat and treatment of the injured. Stay low and help keep people calm and organize.

Devil
11/25/2014 11:54am,
Use the water cannon like Eugene on The Walking Dead.

Permalost
11/25/2014 1:02pm,
I talked to some seasoned malcontents in Slab City a few months ago that recommended taking a small bottle of baby shampoo to potential riots, because it washes off pepper spray better than water alone, and bringing a bandana to potentially block spray/gas/identification. On the other hand if you're detained later and you've got the supplies of a prepared rioter you might be in for a worse time.

I've been in big protest crowds before, and seeing people who came prepared to riot (nose and mouth covered, face obscured, goggles ready on head, close fitting clothing, boots etc) made me every bit as uneasy as seeing the "militarized" law enforcement in body armor and armored vehicles. Part of the fear is that these could be "agent provocateurs" as noted in the OP, or they could be regular protesters preparing for the worst, but either way, those guys give me the feeling that something's gonna go down more than seeing riot cops.

Several years ago, I was in a San Diego coastal area called Pacific Beach on Labor Day, and there was more people there than I've ever seen. I stood on the seawall to peoplewatch and ended up seeing like 3 fistfights. Then, a group of like a dozen riot cops stood next to each other in formation near one of the paths. They stood there without saying anything, and someone threw a plastic bottle that landed near them. I stayed to watch it unfold, but nothing happened. The crowd dissipated and they left.

The interesting part was when I heard about it on the news, they said there was a riot in PB, with rioters throwing bottles and other missiles at police. Somehow a busy beach day with a few fights and an empty plastic bottle landing near cops turned into "a riot where they were throwing bottles at the police". So I take news about rioting with a grain of salt. There's been video from Ferguson, though, that has been pretty damning.

Ulsteryank
11/25/2014 1:32pm,
Use the water cannon like Eugene on The Walking Dead.
Works here!
http://cdn3.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/article29421789.ece/3f439/ALTERNATES/h342/NWS_20130716_New_008_28271095_I2.JPG

Savateur
11/25/2014 3:50pm,
Run head first right into the middle of the pack. Grab anything you can and break it (That includes people). Don't pace yourself, keep going until either you're dead or everyone else is just a big red puddle.

ghost55
11/25/2014 7:51pm,
Steal everything that isn't nailed down while the protesters and cops have it out.

Bneterasedmynam
11/25/2014 9:14pm,
Steal everything that isn't nailed down while the protesters and cops have it out.

That seems to be the SOP in Ferguson. I never really understood the logic of fighting the man by hurting your own people. Most of the stores they looted and destroyed were local owned.

ghost55
11/25/2014 9:26pm,
That seems to be the SOP in Ferguson. I never really understood the logic of fighting the man by hurting your own people. Most of the stores they looted and destroyed were local owned.

Greed takes precedence over all.

Stickybomb
12/02/2014 3:26pm,
The interesting part was when I heard about it on the news, they said there was a riot in PB, with rioters throwing bottles and other missiles at police. Somehow a busy beach day with a few fights and an empty plastic bottle landing near cops turned into "a riot where they were throwing bottles at the police". So I take news about rioting with a grain of salt. There's been video from Ferguson, though, that has been pretty damning.

That also happened in one of our local towns where basketball championship was held. The TV and newspapers were full of stories about how the fans and police duked it out while a friend who actually worked there told me he hasn't seen anything resembling the alleged apocalypse at all.

Usually protests here never turn into a riot, but the situation became more intense in the last few years and on at least two occasions teargas was used (and water-cannon once). So I may go to a protest if I feel like it, but I'll be packing a gas mask. Certainly not displaying it and look like a trouble, I'll just keep it close in the rucksack so that I may quickly and safely get out of the danger zone if the worst happens. Thrashing property or fighting police is not my kind of hobby while protesting can actually be pleasant if the crowd is OK and weather nice. I take it more like an excuse to hang out than serious political activity.

Mr. Machette
12/04/2014 10:25pm,
The easiest way I've found to spot agent provocateurs is they are the ones throwing things at the cops, breaking ****, riling up the crowd and most telling; disappearing when the truncheons start swinging.

That said, my personal favorite riot survival tactic is:

Make sure the t.v. you steal is not so large that you can't easily run with it. I know you want that 72" flat screen but just because they're "free" doesn't mean you need to be greedy.

Also, stolen Nikes fit the best.

Chili Pepper
12/04/2014 10:41pm,
First rock show I ever went to was Alice Cooper in 1980, I was 14, and there was a riot. Separated from my older brother, all I could do was look for where there seemed to be a trouble spot, and not go there.

I was heartily disappointed to find out that not all rock concerts involved a riot.

Eddie Hardon
12/27/2014 3:57pm,
Go home.

I was caught up in a riot in Trafalgar Square. I had just finished training and asked a SGT how I could avoid the melee. (The crowd were girding themselves to launch at the Police - Tesco's had already had its windows smashed.

The SGT directed me to the other side of Whitehall and when a gap appeared, a policeman ushered myself and others through.

Easy peasy.