PDA

View Full Version : HEMA, You're Doing it Wrong...

Quixoticish
11/25/2014 8:55am,
I keep saying I'm going to make more of an effort and actually start posting properly on Bullshido instead of just lurking, so this is as good (or bad) a video as any to start with:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=534551013315287&fref=nf

Bneterasedmynam
11/26/2014 7:51pm,
In what world is that HEMA?? Also that instructor makes one hell of an un-missable target. He was probably moving at his full speed since he is gravity restricted. He should have a death match with an aikido instructor.

1point2
11/27/2014 4:13am,
I like how instructors who espouse slow-motion sparring always come out on top by going just ever so slightly faster than their "attacker". That's over and above the fact that the "attacker" seems to be "attacking" by moving forward with no intent to do anything.

Fuzzy
11/27/2014 5:53am,
Ahaha, I was following that FB thread too. There's some fun comments from the Systema nutriders in there. I believe "Principles" were mentioned repeatedly.

Nice to see another UK HEMA guy on here btw, maybe we can cross weapons of some sort sometime.

Quixoticish
11/27/2014 6:26am,
There is always a measure of bullshit to be found. Hell, especially in HEMA, I've taught some stuff before, come up with a completely different and much more martially sound interpretation and had to go back to my students 12 months later and tell them we're doing it all again because I was wrong the first time around. Humility is important.

But if that's the face of "acceptable" bullshit (if there can ever be such a thing) then what this guy is doing is just the "pure, unadulterated, unnacceptable" kind of bullshit. It's deliberately misleading and he clearly doesn't give a crap about what he's teaching. That makes my piss fizz.

It's nonsense and I'm not sure what offends me more, the fact that he is pedalling it or that fact that people are stood around clearly lapping it up.

Bneterasedmynam
11/27/2014 1:02pm,
There is always a measure of bullshit to be found. Hell, especially in HEMA, I've taught some stuff before, come up with a completely different and much more martially sound interpretation and had to go back to my students 12 months later and tell them we're doing it all again because I was wrong the first time around. Humility is important.

But if that's the face of "acceptable" bullshit (if there can ever be such a thing) then what this guy is doing is just the "pure, unadulterated, unnacceptable" kind of bullshit. It's deliberately misleading and he clearly doesn't give a crap about what he's teaching. That makes my piss fizz.

It's nonsense and I'm not sure what offends me more, the fact that he is pedalling it or that fact that people are stood around clearly lapping it up.

I would just like to say that your avatar is truly cool.