PDA

View Full Version : Black Belt Excellence Martial Arts

Petethegreat630
8/02/2014 2:57pm,
Black Belt Excellence teaches Taekwondo and Hapkido. It is a local school, not a chain like ATA Taekwondo, for example. Unlike a few other schools in the area, BBX actually makes its students work and push their limits in order to rank up.

CrackFox
8/02/2014 3:33pm,
Are you sure about these numbers? How does your gym compare to others with similar scores?

Also, you should probably say where this school is, you know so people can know what you are reviewing.

The Cap
8/02/2014 4:07pm,
Bullshit. Aliveness 8, grappling instruction 9: not believable without evidence.

The average taekwondo school barely scratches a 7 in aliveness. Unless you have some sparring videos to support it, we're going to have a hard time taking your word for it. And do you have a competition record from the school to support that 9 in grappling? 9 is national level stuff, where did the instructors learn and where are their students fighting?

Did you read either of these before posting?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69465

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70153

Pharabus
8/02/2014 6:40pm,
Is this the place?

http://bbxmartialarts.com/wp/

Hadzu
8/03/2014 9:19am,
Is this the place?

http://bbxmartialarts.com/wp/

If so, their blurb on Hapkido makes mention of pressure-point strikes, which, uh... could definitely explain the 9 in grappling instruction, though probably not in the way the OP intended.

ghost55
8/03/2014 7:39pm,
If so, their blurb on Hapkido makes mention of pressure-point strikes, which, uh... could definitely explain the 9 in grappling instruction, though probably not in the way the OP intended.

By "9" you mean "nein", right?

soft touch
8/04/2014 12:06am,
to be fair, if one was going to attempt using that ****, putting the opponent in a half hearted omoplata and beating the everloving **** out of their upper back and neck is probably the way to go

Sent from my GT-I9100

soft touch
8/04/2014 6:16am,
Sorry for double post but didn't actually check out that website til now
From the Hapkido page:
'Advanced forms of Hapkido also work on the development and mastery of Ki.'

yeah alright.

Secondly, how in hell did this place get a 7 in weapons instruction.. without training any weapon arts?

CrackFox
8/04/2014 7:11am,
'Advanced forms of Hapkido also work on the development and mastery of Ki.'

yeah alright.

The word ki means means "energy" and can mean a lot of different things in martial arts, though usually it's actually quite prosaic. Less kamehameha and more "using your opponent's strength against him" (I hate that phrase, but it has it's place.)

Hapkido literally has the word "ki" in there - so guess what, they consider ki important. The name translates as something like "blending energy way", so they are big into throws where you blend with your opponents motion before taking him in another direction to throw him.

Secondly, how in hell did this place get a 7 in weapons instruction.. without training any weapon arts?
Many styles of hapkido have weapons forms. Stuff like staffs and swords. Is this enough to get a 7? Probably not, but they do have some weapons training.

soft touch
8/04/2014 7:32am,
The word ki means means "energy" and can mean a lot of different things in martial arts, though usually it's actually quite prosaic. Less kamehameha and more "using your opponent's strength against him" (I hate that phrase, but it has it's place.)

Hapkido literally has the word "ki" in there - so guess what, they consider ki important. The name translates as something like "blending energy way", so they are big into throws where you blend with your opponents motion before taking him in another direction to throw him.

Many styles of hapkido have weapons forms. Stuff like staffs and swords. Is this enough to get a 7? Probably not, but they do have some weapons training.

Thanks for those pieces of info, interesting stuff actually
looks like my lack of knowledge of legitimate KMA is causing me to bullshit, apologies

(the Ki thing I'm kind of aware of, though in a lot of places I see, the practical definition you applied is more given as an excuse for kamehameha type nonsense)

it would seem I need to train more post less regardless

Sent from my GT-I9100

EDIT: no hate for kamehameha though, Dragonball was the ****.

sensei8
10/12/2014 10:29am,
At least the shown instructor didn't say he was a 9th Dan, but he was humble enough to say that he was a 6th Dan, for what this is worth.