PDA

View Full Version : Monday Motivation: Opinions and Lions

Pages : [1] 2

Phrost
8/05/2013 8:45am,
http://i.imgur.com/2R3Fh3G.jpg

Of course other people's opinions have an influence on your life, and you need to have some concern for ensuring those opinions are favorable. But chasing after approval from people who deserve no respect is pointless, and as self-destructive as thinking you can go through life without anyone else's approval at all.

The trick is to identify the people whose opinions should matter to you - other "lions", and those whose opinions should be dismissed - the "sheep".

Tranquil Suit
8/05/2013 8:48am,
What I expected from the title: "Do other people's opinions matter when a lion is trying to eat you?"

Devil
8/05/2013 9:29am,
What I expected from the title: "Do other people's opinions matter when a lion is trying to eat you?"

I thought it was going to be "Opinions are like lions. Everybody has one."

Bezmond
8/05/2013 11:48am,
I don't have a lion

I'd like a goat though

It's good to have achievable goals.

I'm actually surprised you don't already have one.

Permalost
8/05/2013 12:59pm,
I don't really like the subtext of "you shouldn't care, because you're a lion and they're just sheep", cause if you really didn't care you wouldn't need to set up a dichotomy where you're the bold, different Other and they're just stupid masses.

Son of Thunder
8/05/2013 2:51pm,
I don't really like the subtext of "you shouldn't care, because you're a lion and they're just sheep", cause if you really didn't care you wouldn't need to set up a dichotomy where you're the bold, different Other and they're just stupid masses.

Yeah, sounds to me like a poster for a wannabe (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NietzscheWannabe)-Ubermensch (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ubermensch).

(Beware: Clicking on tvtropes links will ruin your productivity for the day)

Mr. Machette
8/05/2013 7:49pm,
Yeah, sounds to me like a poster for a wannabe Ubermensch.

There is no "wannabe" involved in being Das Ubermensch. You either are or you aren't.

mike321
8/05/2013 8:53pm,
There is no "wannabe" involved in being Das Ubermensch. You either are or you aren't.

They are ALL wannabes. Like unicorns they don't exist. I have heard all political stripes, religions, various inspirational speakers, rich people, poor people, endurance athletes, strength athletes, conspiracy theorists, druggies, straight laced moralists claim they are different than the "sheep". They are ALL special; just like everyone else. Oh, I forgot the truly accomplished! They are wildly successful at something and they think they have everything else in life figured out.

Mr. Machette
8/05/2013 9:02pm,
They are ALL wannabes. Like unicorns they don't exist. I have heard all political stripes, religions, various inspirational speakers, rich people, poor people, endurance athletes, strength athletes, conspiracy theorists, druggies, straight laced moralists claim they are different than the "sheep". They are ALL special; just like everyone else. Oh, I forgot the truly accomplished! They are wildly successful at something and they think they have everything else in life figured out.

See, this is the attitude of the untermensch.

Who says you need to denigrate others to be "super"?

Wing-Kwan-Fu
8/05/2013 10:15pm,

Agreed. I'd go so far as to say that the quote justifies sociopathy and tyranny, flying in the face of all we know about the humanizing, empathy-creating effects of caring what people think about you.

Why don't we have a version with this quote:

"The lion does not care about a monkey laughing at him from a tree." -- Saddam Hussein

Wing-Kwan-Fu
8/05/2013 10:54pm,
I guess "you should care what people think about you, in order to imprint upon positive social mores and to become a productive, empathetic, cooperative and considerate person, while avoiding the influence of peer pressures that would make you weak, unhappy or cruel, just like a lion...?" doesn't have the same rhetorical simplicity or "ring".

mike321
8/06/2013 9:39am,
See, this is the attitude of the untermensch.

Who says you need to denigrate others to be "super"?

The person who creates a world of inferior "sheep" needs to denigrate others to be "super". Plenty of people just own their accomplishments and failures and go on with their lives. The "superior man" is just a clown with a pretend unicorn horn strapped to his head.

Permalost
8/06/2013 11:23am,
the picture at the top reminds me of this album cover:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGvp7QDmZPZcpa5iKDjwy5qBBADbYxI LU6jT7BDIhyxi3PcFV8

Scrapper
8/07/2013 7:58am,
If one more person attributes this to "Game of Thrones", i am going to punch a baby.

(Look up Vernon Howard)

mike321
8/07/2013 9:56am,
If one more person attributes this to "Game of Thrones", i am going to punch a baby.

(Look up Vernon Howard)

MINOR SPOILER

I enjoyed in the book when Tyrion is dealing with a powerful man from the Eastern continent who is merely amused with the Westerners comparing themselves to their house mascots.

Seems relevant.

Mr. Machette
8/07/2013 10:14am,
The person who creates a world of inferior "sheep" needs to denigrate others to be "super".
What's this "creat" ****?

You ever seen mob mentality in action? The "herd" is a very real and very dangerous thing.

Plenty of people just own their accomplishments and failures and go on with their lives.
That's how the Ubermenschen do...

The "superior man" is just a clown with a pretend unicorn horn strapped to his head.

Here you are, denigrating some imaginary construct to make yourself feel superior.

You post and post and post but all I hear is "baaaaaaaa".