PDA

View Full Version : New WTF rules attempting to turn Sport into MMA?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

gregaquaman
10/11/2014 5:29am,
What are their promotions like? Is it fifty people shuffled on to a mat one after another that nobody cares about?

gregaquaman
10/11/2014 5:31am,
Perhaps a thinner hogu would suffice. The Olympics want to keep their fighters safe. This is a good compromise, because it's still really tough, but you also have some protection so you don't accidentally get an organ destroyed from a nice kick. It might also work for keeping insurance costs down when local tournaments are hosted. Keeps parents interested in allowing their kids to compete too.

Electronic with a scoreboard?

Piff
10/27/2014 10:48am,
Any news on what's going on with this or not?

Piff
10/29/2014 10:21am,
What's going on with this any news?

Bizz247
10/29/2014 2:13pm,
Sounds like they should just merge ITF and WTF and call it fucking taekwondo LOL, make it a full contact knockdown sport, minus the gloves since your gonna be allowing punches to the face.

In Kyokushin we take kicks without pads everywhere, so WTF LOL! :P

SgtDutch
11/27/2014 11:00am,
Yes! Lets add take-downs, throws, sweeps, and joint manipulation to TKD. We could call it......
...call it...
...we could call it Hapkido...
What? That name is already taken? Damn I really thought we had something there...

That is actually not a bad idea. I never quite understood why Hapkido wasn't just absorbed into the official Korean sport, and made a part of the curriculum.

nihao
11/29/2014 2:14am,
sounds kinda like sanda

Dobbelsteen
12/04/2014 5:14pm,
Adding head punches and low kicks, while removing the extra points for spinning kicks would make Taekwondo sparring more realistic and more usefull for MMA, but I don't really like that idea. Taekwondo is a martial art that is quite different from other MA's because of it's focus on high kicks. It would be a shame if the focus on kicking will disappear. It would make taekwondo into 'karate with protection gear'. There is no need to make it more like kyokushin, because there already is kyokushin.

Personally, i would leave the scoring as it is, except for 1 thing: You'll get 1 point if your opponent will fall to the ground. Then allow takedowns/throws in the competition. This way the match will still be focussed on kicking, but it will also be needed to keep your balance, and make sure you won't be taken down. Spinning head kicks will still reward the most points, but are also more risky. This might make taekwondo more usefull, without making it look to much like other MA's.

Ryan_tys55
9/05/2017 1:49pm,
Kyokushin karate fighters take pride in not moving backwards, part of their philosophy of never showing weakness, fear or surrendering. Kyokushin also allows knees, elbows, sweeps, and kicks at full force during competition. id like to see this brought to taekwondo.

BackFistMonkey
9/05/2017 2:00pm,
Kyokushin karate fighters take pride in not moving backwards, part of their philosophy of never showing weakness, fear or surrendering. Kyokushin also allows knees, elbows, sweeps, and kicks at full force during competition. id like to see this brought to taekwondo.

But that is KK and MT not TKD. TKD is established as what it is, and claims what it is is what it was historically. Are you suggesting TKD just throw its heritage down the drain and make stuff up to fit the current trends? Or are you saying they have been doing that all along and needs to continue to change their methodology and history?

Ryan_tys55
9/05/2017 4:39pm,
But that is KK and MT not TKD. TKD is established as what it is, and claims what it is is what it was historically. Are you suggesting TKD just throw its heritage down the drain and make stuff up to fit the current trends? Or are you saying they have been doing that all along and needs to continue to change their methodology and history?

No I'm saying that in order for taekwondo to continue to be a good martial art but be viewed as a good martial art by upping their competition to be very similar to kyokushin, because it's competition right now sucks

Miguksaram
10/25/2017 8:28am,
Ryan, I see what you are saying but if they do all that, then it is no longer TKD, it is KK. The sport was developed in a certain direction. Instead of making it like another combative sport they should start going back to some of the older style rules that made it a bit more fun to watch. If we really wanted to up the game and keep some of its tradition in tact, the I would suggest adding in the throws and sweeps that they allow in Taekkyon.