PDA

View Full Version : Harder Korean Martial Arts

Barker1989
7/25/2013 9:06am,
As my Korean martial arts knowledge isn't the best I was wondering, which of the styles are considered harder MA's by that I mean full contact and less "flowery" than tae kwon do (no disrespect to tae kwon do I think it is has its uses) I just mean less showy with less jump spinning kicks etc.

Andrew WA
7/25/2013 10:16am,
As my Korean martial arts knowledge isn't the best I was wondering, which of the styles are considered harder MA's by that I mean full contact and less "flowery" than tae kwon do (no disrespect to tae kwon do I think it is has its uses) I just mean less showy with less jump spinning kicks etc.

Jump spin kicks are not a bad thing nor are they simply only flowery as the "harder" korean arts stuill have them.

Anyway try Hapkido it is purely self defense based.
Also there is a modern hybrid art called Gonkwan Yusool it looks like kyokushin and jiujitsu put together. But I think they are very political and annoying though.

Kyuktooki is a korean hybrid martial arts sport like kickboxing and some takedowns from standing but the gyms who teach this seem to only be in Korea.

Yudo is Korean Judo but its basically just Japanese Judo exactly the same.

Barker1989
7/25/2013 10:27am,
Jump spin kicks are not a bad thing nor are they simply only flowery as the "harder" korean arts stuill have them.

Also there is a modern hybrid art called Gonkwan Yusool it looks like kyokushin and jiujitsu put together. But I think they are very political and annoying though.

Kyuktooki is a korean hybrid martial arts sport like kickboxing and some takedowns from standing but the gyms who teach this seem to only be in Korea.

Apologies my meaning probably came across wrong, I didn't mean those kicks are necessarily bad at all I just meant that my perception of TKD is that it isn't full contact and more about point sparring, again apologies if I am wrong. One of my friends used to do it and I sparred with him a couple of times, his kicks were very fast to be fair to the guy.

the problem i think i have is that where I live there are only TKD schools - I am quite curious about trying Kuk Sool Won and Tang soo do, its a little bit annoying there don't seem to be any of those schools near me

P.S again I'm not saying I am against trying TKD but i quite enjoy full contact sparring and competiton

legomepanda
7/25/2013 12:54pm,

Harder martial art and you recommend hapkido? Seriously?

OP, why does it have to be Korean?

Andrew WA
7/25/2013 1:00pm,
Harder martial art and you recommend hapkido? Seriously?

OP, why does it have to be Korean?

Well what else is there? Hapkido is self defense based and has a lot of grabbing. Some people like that! Watch Fight Quest episode on hapkido it had alot of fun looking hard contact sparring. But yes most gyms wont teach that.

It is Fake
7/25/2013 1:00pm,
Apologies my meaning probably came across wrong, I didn't mean those kicks are necessarily bad at all I just meant that my perception of TKD is that it isn't full contact and more about point sparring, again apologies if I am wrong. One of my friends used to do it and I sparred with him a couple of times, his kicks were very fast to be fair to the guy.

the problem i think i have is that where I live there are only TKD schools - I am quite curious about trying Kuk Sool Won and Tang soo do, its a little bit annoying there don't seem to be any of those schools near me

P.S again I'm not saying I am against trying TKD but i quite enjoy full contact sparring and competitonYou'll have to check out all of the schools. Contrary to the claim that Hapkido is for self defense, it varies greatly from country to country and school to school. This can be said for many martial arts.
There are good TKD, TSD and Hapkido schools, but there appears to be many more that are McDojos with little to no contact.

Andrew WA
7/25/2013 1:03pm,

P.S again I'm not saying I am against trying TKD but i quite enjoy full contact sparring and competiton

No problem dude no need to apologize.
Anyway Tang Soo Do is not going to help you much more. I would recommend Taekwondo over that. Almost every TSD school I have seen has only taught light contact touch sparring. And they frown on knockouts. But there might possibly be some TSD gyms who do full contact let me know if you find one.
Taekwondo is full contact sparring with rules where you cannot punch the head, but they do wear chest gear and head gear for protection. but it is still atleast full contact kicking and punching the target areas. And yes it is a form of point sparring but it is in no way like typical karate point fighting.

Now Kuk Sool Won I know nothing about. Anyone else might help you with that but I have heard it was fake or made up with faulty history. But im not sure how they spar or if they even do spar.

I think your best bet is finding a gankwon yusool gym. But they are hard to find.

Andrew WA
7/25/2013 1:06pm,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fXGDvE9N44

Gongkwon Yusool has hard contact and grappling put together. but I think they do not punch to the head the same as kyokushin does not punch to the head. If there is a gym in the USA like this let me know where.

It is Fake
7/25/2013 1:11pm,
The last two posts are why you need to investigate yourself Barker. Notice, he didn't see that you are living in ENGLAND.

Permalost
7/25/2013 1:25pm,
Ssirium.

TNMP
7/25/2013 1:44pm,
He'd need a satba for that:

http://www.gnedu.net/php-bin/swebdata/%C1%DF%C7%D0%B1%B3/1%C7%D0%B3%E2/%C6%AF%BA%B0%C8%B0%B5%BF/1%C7%D0%B1%E2/ms20030108163921/Mm/Graphic/sirum01.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aQbskyiu6zU/Th5sdkjBmDI/AAAAAAAAABk/WXv5iU0hR9k/s1600/sirum02.gif

Barker1989
7/25/2013 3:35pm,
The last two posts are why you need to investigate yourself Barker. Notice, he didn't see that you are living in ENGLAND.

Yeah sorry guys I'm based in England I should have said this earlier, the main reason for my post was to get some views on the differing Korean martial arts. There don't seem to be that many variations in the UK apart from TKD, also the style doesn't have to be korean. I have done muay Thai mostly in the past. It I have always been curious about other full contact martial arts that are out there. At the minute my main focus is BJJ so I was wondering really if there were other full contact MA'S I could try that would be good for my standup just to mix it up a little, like karate or wing chun, Chinese boxing etc.

Sent from my HTC One using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

legomepanda
7/26/2013 1:10pm,
I'm really confused now.

So you're not interested in Korean MA exclusively? Then there's a whole range of "alive" arts. But if you're only interested in Korean MA, your options are extremely limited.

Are you just looking for style suggestions? Let's regurgitate: Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, Sombo, Kyokushin, Boxing and of course MMA.

Andrew WA
7/26/2013 1:28pm,
Yeah sorry guys I'm based in England I should have said this earlier, the main reason for my post was to get some views on the differing Korean martial arts. There don't seem to be that many variations in the UK apart from TKD, also the style doesn't have to be korean. I have done muay Thai mostly in the past. It I have always been curious about other full contact martial arts that are out there. At the minute my main focus is BJJ so I was wondering really if there were other full contact MA'S I could try that would be good for my standup just to mix it up a little, like karate or wing chun, Chinese boxing etc.

Yep I forgot to notice you live in England.
Well if you are just interested ins tyles why did you post in the Korean Martial arts section asking exclusively for Korean martial arts? Anyway what did you think of the Gongkwon Yusool video? If you do BJJ you would fit in well with that. There are some european gyms that train GKYS so look it up, could be one in the UK somewhere who knows.

It is Fake
7/26/2013 1:32pm,
Unless you can train at an Alan orr school or Kamon Wing chun just stay away from that style. If you see a kung fu school that teaches Sanda, Sanshou or competes in LeiTai train at those schools.

Unless you have a few year into BJJ, leave the cross training alone for now.

Barker1989
7/28/2013 11:17am,
Thanks for all the Input it is appreciated, the reason I initially posted in the KMA section is because I know less about that than other MA's so just wanted to ask you guys for more Info, yeah I did like the look of the gonkwon, sadly there doesn't appear to be any clubs near me.

Also the reason I want to cross train is because I have been doing muay Thai more recently and just want to maintain my striking ability. In regards to the sanshou I found a school near me - salahmartialarts.co.uk not sure how legit it is though, I think I'll check it out this week!