PDA

View Full Version : My first fight!

Pages : [1] 2

Yimchaloi
12/31/2012 6:38pm,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H-oZQBRA5Q

This is a 2-minute compilation of my 1st full-contact kickboxing fight I've done lots of semi-full-contact sport TKD competitions, but this was wholly out of my experience. I only had a couple weeks to cut 11 lbs and prepare to fight. This was my opponent's 4th fight, but I'm not sure of his record. I think it's 2-2 after this one.

Lemme know what ya'll think. I'm both very proud /and/ a little embarrassed by my performance. My next fight is in 13 weeks and I've got 10,000 things to practice and work on before then. I fought well last time, but I'm still lucky that I didn't get my face messed up tbh.

erezb
12/31/2012 8:11pm,
It shows that you have some fighting experience from TKD. And that is valuable!
You do not jab!! your equivalent of a jab is a kick.
Some practice at your local MMA school (the striking classes) will help you a lot.

Yimchaloi
1/01/2013 11:15am,
Jus' wanna make sure, you mean to use a front kick or something in the place of a jab, right? As in, I should be feelin' him out or settin' up with a kick instead? I see that you do both boxing and K1, and I love both. Serkan Yilmaz has always been one of my fave fighters to watch because of his TKD skills. I am open and eager for advice. Otherwise how else can I improve?

This fight was in October, and I've been since frantically trying to fix some of the gaping holes in my technique. Found out I was really good at some stuff and dangerously inexperienced in others. I learned that linear kicks seem to land a lot more, that I can't open up with a head-level roundhouse, that I REALLY gotta work on using combinations instead of trying to score points on single techniques like a damn n00b, that leg kicks are flippin' awesome... almost immediately when the bell rang I realized I had to use my kicks waaay differently when there's a less limiting ruleset! And my hands! Egads, I gotta learn to box! I honestly thought I was gonna be able to just go in and roundhouse kick him hard, fast, and often and that he'd just end up unconscious on the mat as a result. Got that idea punched right the **** outta my head, I'll tell ya what!

thekfschool
1/04/2013 4:22pm,
I thought you did pretty well.

BFGalbraith
1/05/2013 12:11am,
That was an entertaining match to watch.

I learned that linear kicks seem to land a lot more, that I can't open up with a head-level roundhouse, that I REALLY gotta work on using combinations instead of trying to score points on single techniques like a damn n00b, that leg kicks are flippin' awesome... almost immediately when the bell rang I realized I had to use my kicks waaay differently when there's a less limiting ruleset! And my hands! Egads, I gotta learn to box! I honestly thought I was gonna be able to just go in and roundhouse kick him hard, fast, and often and that he'd just end up unconscious on the mat as a result. Got that idea punched right the **** outta my head, I'll tell ya what!

Back in the days of pre-MMA kickboxing, the only TKD master I knew of that was kickboxing well was Victor Soiler, and for some reason your match reminded me of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Esf7waFOY

Magpie McGee
1/05/2013 1:12pm,
You should have warned me there would be Skrillex in your video. I only made it about halfway through before having a seizure.

How long have you been training for full-contact kickboxing specifically?

Yimchaloi
1/05/2013 1:31pm,
Heh, sorry 'bout that! It's always a good idea to add a warning in the case of Skrillex.

Magpie McGee: At the time of this fight I had about 3-4 weeks of prep time to get outta TKD mode and into kickboxing mode. The video below is me training/sparrin' with a friend 3-4 weeks before the fight. A lot had to - and still needs to - change.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEsmlVdo3fY

Magpie McGee
1/05/2013 2:45pm,
Heh, sorry 'bout that! It's always a good idea to add a warning in the case of Skrillex.

Magpie McGee: At the time of this fight I had about 3-4 weeks of prep time to get outta TKD mode and into kickboxing mode. The video below is me training/sparrin' with a friend 3-4 weeks before the fight. A lot had to - and still needs to - change.

I guess that went as well as you could have hoped with 4 weeks and no coach.

I do think that erezb meant that you should jab more. It was hard to see through my seizure, but I don't think I saw you throw a single jab in that video.

I can't really offer any advice or criticism of my own. See that September join date? Prior to that, I had no experience in hitting people.

Omega Supreme
1/05/2013 4:10pm,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H-oZQBRA5Q

This is a 2-minute compilation of my 1st full-contact kickboxing fight I've done lots of semi-full-contact sport TKD competitions, but this was wholly out of my experience. I only had a couple weeks to cut 11 lbs and prepare to fight. This was my opponent's 4th fight, but I'm not sure of his record. I think it's 2-2 after this one.

Lemme know what ya'll think. I'm both very proud /and/ a little embarrassed by my performance. My next fight is in 13 weeks and I've got 10,000 things to practice and work on before then. I fought well last time, but I'm still lucky that I didn't get my face messed up tbh.
Want to come to CA and join my team?

Yimchaloi
1/05/2013 11:18pm,
Want to come to CA and join my team?

Oh, snap! I'm flattered that you think there's enough potential hiding under all the sloppiness. Much thanks! And while one of my dreams is to live in CA again, I dunno how financially feasible it'd be. Mebbe if I earn more money from fightin' down the road, 'eh? ;-)

erezb
1/06/2013 6:35am,
Yichaloi, i did mean that you need to perfect your jab, and use it, it is a great tool.
I'll give you a tip on how to really get your left hand and jab in particular better.
Start adding 2 rounds of just left hand boxing (sparring) to your warm ups. If your partner is not a challenge than he can go either both hands or even full all out while you are confined to using only your left hand.
After that, ill probably work on just boxing. A good way to learn how to fight close (beside toe to toe sparring which you should add too) is this:
One of you is number 1, and he can hit with a single punch either a left or a right hook, number two blocks or duck or whatever he wants but, the second he blocked he answers with a couple of hooks himself. If you tend to jump back you will find it too hard to come back with your own two hooks...you will start to bob, and block whilst getting closer and into a punch. If you guys want to spice it up, add the body as an option. Also you can switch it so number 1 throws two hooks and number 2 answers with 1.
I have a ton of those..if you liked it ill give you more.
For a kickboxing match, there is a nice drill to teach you to go inside a round house kick and counter punch. Number 1 throws a high round house and number 2 gets inside with his guard up (the side of the kick) and throws a hard punch to the neck or diaphragm (usually experienced fighters will protect their face with one hand so initially going to the body is great) This is basically a counter to a kick with a punch (over hand are also good). If you drill this both ways it will also teach you how to be on the receiving end and to return quickly from a kick to a good stance...

erezb
1/06/2013 6:50am,
i forgot to add, that after the counter punch to a round house you continue with a few quick punches while driving forward and getting out clean.

Omega Supreme
1/06/2013 11:56am,
Yichaloi, i did mean that you need to perfect your jab, and use it, it is a great tool.
I'll give you a tip on how to really get your left hand and jab in particular better.
Start adding 2 rounds of just left hand boxing (sparring) to your warm ups. If your partner is not a challenge than he can go either both hands or even full all out while you are confined to using only your left hand.
After that, ill probably work on just boxing. A good way to learn how to fight close (beside toe to toe sparring which you should add too) is this:
One of you is number 1, and he can hit with a single punch either a left or a right hook, number two blocks or duck or whatever he wants but, the second he blocked he answers with a couple of hooks himself. If you tend to jump back you will find it too hard to come back with your own two hooks...you will start to bob, and block whilst getting closer and into a punch. If you guys want to spice it up, add the body as an option. Also you can switch it so number 1 throws two hooks and number 2 answers with 1.
For a kickboxing match, there is a nice drill to teach you to go inside a round house kick and counter punch. Number 1 throws a high round house and number 2 gets inside with his guard up (the side of the kick) and throws a hard punch to the neck or diaphragm (usually experienced fighters will protect their face with one hand so initially going to the body is great) This is basically a counter to a kick with a punch (over hand are also good). If you drill this both ways it will also teach you how to be on the receiving end and to return quickly from a kick to a good stance...Dude, you really need to learn how to breakdown your instruction better.

Matt Phillips
1/06/2013 12:16pm,
He's ESL

Yimchaloi
1/06/2013 12:23pm,
He's ESL

I understood him just fine. He uses English better than most native English-speakers online. X-D

Yimchaloi
1/06/2013 12:24pm,
For a kickboxing match, there is a nice drill to teach you to go inside a round house kick and counter punch. Number 1 throws a high round house and number 2 gets inside with his guard up (the side of the kick) and throws a hard punch to the neck or diaphragm (usually experienced fighters will protect their face with one hand so initially going to the body is great) This is basically a counter to a kick with a punch (over hand are also good). If you drill this both ways it will also teach you how to be on the receiving end and to return quickly from a kick to a good stance...

A thousand thanks for the wonderful advice and drill tips! I'm gonna put it to use ASAP!