PDA

View Full Version : 10 Years of Bullshido

Pages : [1] 2 3

Phrost
5/20/2012 11:35pm,

Like many stories of corruption and intrigue, this one starts with a dirty motel room and a woman getting paid to do something unsavory to a perverted man.

But unlike many stories of that genre, this one didn't involve a priest or a congressman, or any person one would expect to wrap themselves in a cloak of moral standards. No, this started with a female fighter, getting paid to do some light, grappling-related bondage on a weirdo who kept a blog about his adventures.

The thing about those relatively 'early' days of MMA, was that there were only so many websites discussing MMA, Jiu-jitsu, or fighters. Heck, there were only a small fraction of websites in general, compared to what we have today, and even fewer decent discussion forums.

This was in the days before The Ultimate Fighter brought the sport into people's living rooms, back when a guy wearing a Tapout shirt could actually tap someone out. Fans of the sport were largely people who trained in the sport, and consequently there were only a few degrees of separation between a guy in the stands, and the guy in the cage.

And it was in this adolescent time of the sport that a handful of fans stumbled onto the blog of a creepy guy detailing his experiences getting man-handled by a woman. This wouldn't have been anything out of the ordinary on the Internet, even then, except that someone tried to cover it up.

And they would have succeeded, if it weren't for the fact that this pissed off that handful of people.

If you haven't yet heard this story, ask some of the original members of this site. They'll fill you in, in much greater detail. But for those who've joined along the way, just keep in mind that this whole project began because a small group of people didn't put up with bullshit, lies, cover-ups, and all the other nonsense that's kept the Martial Arts world on the edge of credibility and on the fringes of culture.

So this is a thanks, from me, to you, for helping to stand as a counterbalance against the freaks, frauds, and the fakes. 10 years from now, let's see what else we've accomplished.

Colin
5/21/2012 12:20am,
And here's to another 10!
*raises a glass*

slamdunc
5/21/2012 12:33am,
I've only been around for half of Bullshido's life, but I have learned, laughed, and thought WTF??? many times. Here's to another ten years!!

battlefields
5/21/2012 12:43am,
Party at Phrost's house?

ChenPengFi
5/21/2012 12:58am,
Party at Phrost's house?

It's a compound ya know.

cualltaigh
5/21/2012 2:00am,
If you haven't yet heard this story, ask some of the original members of this site. They'll fill you in, in much greater detail.

I could, but then I wouldn't feel as justifiably indignant when i told other posters to use the search function. Also, of the members listed (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2845&p=59348&viewfull=1#post59348) I think I've only seek JKDChick post since I've been here.

what's up with olga b? (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=310&page=1)

Attention Cracky (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69169&pagenumber=)

Examiner.com Interview of Some Jerk from Bullshido (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85034&page=1)

Diesel_tke
5/21/2012 1:54pm,
I would say that I'm looking forward to where I'll be in 10 years. But after the brain injury thread, I'm pretty sure I won't know who I am.

Thanks a lot!

lordbd
5/21/2012 2:02pm,
Wow! Ten years! I wonder how many martial arts frauds, fakers, and exaggerators have been exposed here on Bullshido over all that time. How many major fraud-busts have gone down? Members of the public protecting the public. Huzzah!

slamdunc
5/21/2012 3:25pm,
Members of the public protecting the public. Huzzah!
Like vigilantes dressed in a gi?

Hedgehogey
5/21/2012 4:50pm,
So the site got started when somebody called the internet police over someone indulging their fetish?

FHoppy
5/21/2012 5:22pm,
Good on ya!

omoplatypus
5/21/2012 5:34pm,
So the site got started when somebody called the internet police over someone indulging their fetish?

yeah, they got backtraced all the way to phrost's compound

RWaggs
5/21/2012 6:13pm,
In many ways, this site has directly led to several positive changes in my life. Thanks, everyone.

Phrost
5/23/2012 1:53pm,

Nobody cared about the fetish. We cared about the cover-up and collusion between several of the handful of MMA forums that existed at the time; so we started one of our own where information couldn't be censored.

Hiro Protagonist
5/23/2012 2:17pm,
Happy anniversary, indeed!

See, ten shiny years! ...And all you got is me! :friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozfias2e3xo

LarsCG
5/23/2012 5:51pm,

Well, there ARE worse origin stories out there...