PDA

View Full Version : Skepticism & Spirituality in the Martial Arts

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Phrost
2/23/2012 8:15am,

Pretty much everyone who's been on Bullshido for more than five minutes knows of Matt Thornton.

He's the founder of the Straight Blast Gym and a BJJ black belt, who spends a significant portion of his time helping to combat BS in the Martial Arts by promoting the concept of "Aliveness".

In this 45 minute video, Thornton skewers what he describes as "Fantasy Based Martial Arts", and the inadequate training methods which enable their practitioners to be delusional, and takes questions from the audience.

Phrost
2/23/2012 8:23am,
And here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy4TwtoDs50

killadelphia77
2/23/2012 8:45am,
I hope I did this the right way but Sam Harris had this on his facebook, and I suggested you guys in the comments. I mentioned bullshido as a reference point and mentioned how I found my gym here. Hopefully it's not too douchey of a move or I'll delete it:BabyTroll:

Phrost
2/23/2012 8:47am,
I hope I did this the right way but Sam Harris had this on his facebook, and I suggested you guys in the comments. I mentioned bullshido as a reference point and mentioned how I found my gym here. Hopefully it's not too douchey of a move or I'll delete it:BabyTroll:

Not at all, we're happy to have people helping get the word out. Matt is a huge friend of the site and I told him yesterday that we'd feature the video here.

killadelphia77
2/23/2012 9:21am,
Great, because these are the opportunities to "pay it foward" I've been salivating over lol. Best way to show my appreciation. Matt is awesome, I wish I could train with him.

Ice Hole
2/23/2012 10:26am,
Matt looks like hell, did he go undercover for this assignment? Someone told him the 90's grunge style was still in on college campuses or something and he wanted to blend in with the right flannels and hair.

I like Matt, but he's still heavily biased and persists in associating "traditional" with "dead training". In Matt's world, traditional training is never alive, which is a silly thing to keep spouting in this day and age.

I get that he needs to pimp "Aliveness" wherever he goes but the constant bucketing of "this is used in MMA so it is always trained alive" vs. "This is a traditional art so it's always trained dead" is a false dichotomy that, quite frankly, is just as bad as any "fantasy-based" art.

I use Matt's philosophy whenever I train, if it's a dead drill (and dead drills have their place), I ask myself how I could train it more alive, and I credit Matt for that sort of thing. But he didn't invent aliveness, he just pointed it out.

Phrost
2/23/2012 12:34pm,
Well that's kind of like saying "Phrost didn't invent 'Bullshido', he just came up with the word that succinctly encapsulated the concept of bullshit in the martial arts". Like me, I'm pretty sure he coined the term.

Ice Hole
2/23/2012 12:54pm,
Well that's kind of like saying "Phrost didn't invent 'Bullshido', he just came up with the word that succinctly encapsulated the concept of bullshit in the martial arts". Like me, I'm pretty sure he coined the term.

He includes karate in the "dead" arts, but we all know karateka and styles who train alive. And in kung fu, and in etc etc.

At the end of the day I greatly respect Matt's ethos, but he's still part of the BJJihad; he's just disguised here as Eddie Vedder.

Permalost
2/23/2012 1:56pm,
At the end of the day I greatly respect Matt's ethos, but he's still part of the BJJihad; he's just disguised here as Eddie Vedder.
He did name his training place Straight Blast gym. A straight blast is not a BJJ technique.

Ice Hole
2/23/2012 2:10pm,
He did name his training place Straight Blast gym. A straight blast is not a BJJ technique.

The best part of the video is when Matt starts derailing a bit and drifts from MA and spirituality and starts discussing the artistic value of psychoactive drugs. When he started talking about artists doing LSD and mushrooms I suddenly felt like it was 1994 all over again...gonna put on some Mother Love Bone...burn incense....

He equated athletic zen with dropping acid. Oh ...College...

http://i.imgur.com/wdJBt.jpg

JBliss
2/23/2012 9:39pm,
" they want to learn self defense, and by self defense they mean confidence"

Nailed it.

JohnnyCache
2/24/2012 2:48pm,
what class was this for

It is Fake
2/24/2012 3:07pm,
He includes karate in the "dead" arts, but we all know karateka and styles who train alive. And in kung fu, and in etc etc. Yes, he generalized. We all generalize. There isn't enough time to sit there and say "all but these three karate systems, that CMA school, that KMA etc etc etc." This is more pedantic than any thing I rip art.

At the end of the day I greatly respect Matt's ethos, but he's still part of the BJJihad; he's just disguised here as Eddie Vedder.Yes, a JKD, Savate, and boxing based striker who added BJJ to his game is part of BJJihad.

I use Matt's philosophy whenever I train, if it's a dead drill (and dead drills have their place), I ask myself how I could train it more alive, and I credit Matt for that sort of thing. But he didn't invent aliveness, he just pointed it out.
Stop it, CMA was marginalized long before he started training BJJ. Do you need the videos where he points out he didn't invent it?

You sound like all of the hippy CMAers that can't stand Aliveness.

JohnnyCache
2/24/2012 3:34pm,
Matt looks like hell, did he go undercover for this assignment? Someone told him the 90's grunge style was still in on college campuses or something and he wanted to blend in with the right flannels and hair.

I like Matt, but he's still heavily biased and persists in associating "traditional" with "dead training". In Matt's world, traditional training is never alive, which is a silly thing to keep spouting in this day and age.

I get that he needs to pimp "Aliveness" wherever he goes but the constant bucketing of "this is used in MMA so it is always trained alive" vs. "This is a traditional art so it's always trained dead" is a false dichotomy that, quite frankly, is just as bad as any "fantasy-based" art.

He's giving a lecture to laypeople, and it already took up most of the class time - constant qualifying and digression for exceptions would be unwieldy in this context. It's more helpful for the people he's talking to get the right takeaway and be pleasantly surprised by exceptions that prove the rule.

Banjin Tsuki
2/26/2012 8:20pm,
While I obviously respect Thornton, and know he would kick my ass, I think he is painfully biased and a little mistaken. The idea of many traditional arts is perfecting the "one punch" (or whatever technique) take down. It drives me crazy that many MMA and UFC fights go on for 5 or 15 minutes. Do that in the street and you're dead!

That said, I agree with his idea about dynamic training against real opponents. Practicing against the air may be ok for trying to ingrain technique, but without application against a live opponent the practice is in vain.

As for his discussion on spirituality - he is definitely full of Bullshido.

battlefields
2/26/2012 8:54pm,
While I obviously respect Thornton, and know he would kick my ass, I think he is painfully biased and a little mistaken. The idea of many traditional arts is perfecting the "one punch" (or whatever technique) take down. It drives me crazy that many MMA and UFC fights go on for 5 or 15 minutes. Do that in the street and you're dead!

That said, I agree with his idea about dynamic training against real opponents. Practicing against the air may be ok for trying to ingrain technique, but without application against a live opponent the practice is in vain.

As for his discussion on spirituality - he is definitely full of Bullshido.

Bolded. You are an idiot. No need to reply.