PDA

View Full Version : Product Review: Fight Soap

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Navita
3/19/2011 12:09pm,
Something pretty interesting happened a few days ago, I was approached by the owner of Fight Soap and asked to do a review of his product. Now this is something totally new for me, but I am definitely up for it. My normal skin cleaning regimen had been girly body wash every day, and then once a week I took the dermatologistsí advice and used dandruff shampoo, because I didnít know where to get anything like Fight Soap. Iím really excited to try some of this soap out after writing the whole article about skin diseases you can get from training. If this stuff prevents it like it says it will, I will know a lot of happy fighters.

Thursday, 10/7, I got the soap and me being me, was super excited. They sent me a purple soap call Vicious Vixen. They also sent me this little yellow sample one, which is called Brazilian Bully. There are 5 different soaps each one with a unique name, and purpose, so I am excited they sent me two to try. The big selling point on these soaps, other than the fact they can kill pretty much anything on your skin that is creepy or crawly, is that they are ďmade with vegan friendly and all natural ingredients.Ē So this stuff wouldnít harm my skin with anything crazy and it was good for the environment. Sweet!

Vicious Vixen

Fight Soap actually has done something pretty cool with the Vicious Vixen. They made a strong soap, for the females in the sport. There may not be many of us females but the fact that they do have something for us in mind, is awesome. Iíve used it for almost a month now and I have got to say I love the stuff. The Vicious Vixen smells amazing and it has Shea butter in it so my skin still feels smooth! The nicest part is no matter how gross and sweaty I am after BJJ I jump in the shower, and the soap makes the gross grimy feeling go away. So I can still smell feminine but not have to worry about if my soap is strong enough.

Brazilian Bully

Iíve been using the Brazilian Bully to wash my face, mainly because it gets a lot more contact with gis and skinÖ And Iíve noticed Iím not getting the weird black heads I use to get. This is a big plus, my skin is clearing up!! The Brazilian Bully has a clean Citrus smell, great for waking up in the morning. Also the crushed apricot seed exfoliated my skin. Which think about it everything these soaps are made from are all natural. Apricot seeds as the exfoliating ingredient, very ingenious.

The thing I love, that I mentioned before is the scents. They donít smell like a hospital, or like sandalwood. So far Fight Soap comes in 5 different scents, all with varying ingredients. I will admit the boyfriend is loving the smell of the soap. He didnít know the smell was the Fight Soap. But after reading this he probably willÖ One month down and no ringworm, staph, etc. I know itís only been a month but I am definitely sold. I really like the feeling, the fact itís getting me very clean, and that I donít need to worry so much about the nasty stuff you can pick up on the mat. This soap is my new body wash.

All this being said. Fight Soap and any other heavy duty soap made to kill these diseases can only do so much. If you donít clean your gear, or help keep your gym mats clean, then you wonít be able to prevent everythingÖ sooner or later your luck will run out. So keep you stuff clean, wash with the right kind of soap, and you will keep yourself healthy!

Check out Fight Soap, the Fight Soap models, and the fight soap blog at fight-soap.com hope you guys enjoy!!

Pictures and links to their website can be found here at http://navitabjj.blogspot.com/2010/10/product-review-fight-soap.html

bobyclumsyninja
3/19/2011 2:06pm,
good review. I might try this. I use girly body wash, (and deoderant) as I think it's better, on the whole, than guy's....so I'm not afraid to smell flowery, fruity, or whathaveyou.

Thanks for posting!!!!

chokeu2
3/21/2011 11:11am,
I've used Fight Soaps competitor, Defense Soap since it came onto the market; and I can say that I've never turned back. Soaps like Fight Soap and Defense Soap are really worth the small effort that it takes to get them. Since using this soap, I've not had the first rash, or any other case of nastiness that we as martial artists tend to fall prey to.

I've not tried Fight Soap, but that is only because I've been so pleased with Defense Soap. Perhaps as my supplies of DS runs out, I'll give Fight Soap a shot.

Mo_Fo
3/21/2011 11:25am,
I've used Fight Soaps competitor, Defense Soap since it came onto the market; and I can say that I've never turned back. Soaps like Fight Soap and Defense Soap are really worth the small effort that it takes to get them. Since using this soap, I've not had the first rash, or any other case of nastiness that we as martial artists tend to fall prey to.

I've not tried Fight Soap, but that is only because I've been so pleased with Defense Soap. Perhaps as my supplies of DS runs out, I'll give Fight Soap a shot.

I agree about how solid Defense soap is. Not only do I use the body wash as soon as I get home I also use the body wipes to clean my face, hairline, hands, and feet while in the locker room changing back into my civies. I even keep a container of wipes in my daughters BJJ bag and she does the same routine.

Fight soap sounds great, but how much are the bars of soap? I know the bars of Defense are $5 which is great, but the shipping is a little crazy (however the online coupon codes usually make up some for it). How expensive are the bars & what is the cost of shipping if you don't mind me asking Navita.

Ming Loyalist
3/21/2011 11:33am,
interesting, but i'd have to know that it's more effective or cheaper than just using head and shoulders as a body wash (which i do right after judo.)

Permalost
3/21/2011 11:40am,
I think Coffeefan wrote a review about how it was good stuff (or maybe it was a similar product, or maybe I'm crazy).

Mo_Fo
3/21/2011 11:50am,
Hmmm... what happened to my post?
Anywho... good review but I was curious about the cost of the Fight bars? Shipping?
I use Defense products. Great stuff, fair prices, but pricey shipping. Coupons make up for it though.

chokeu2
3/21/2011 11:54am,
@ming, I certainly could not say for sure that it is more effective; but rather I can say that my skin has certainly been in better shape than using "regular" soaps. Now that is not to say that you couldn't find a similar product on store shelves that have the same ingredients either; I've read of a few people that seem to have done that.

Ice Hole
3/21/2011 12:03pm,
fight soap contains eucalyptus oil.

win.

Reekon_Nox
3/21/2011 12:11pm,
Fight soap is a good ideal trying to hope on the MMA money train but I see it as being gimicky. There are tons of normal soaps on the market that kills this and fights that that are a lot cheaper than Fight soap.

I think if you shower right after trainning use a good facial wash and shampoo you should be find. I have only been doing BJJ and Muay Thai for two weeks now and have noticed I started getting lil small acne like bumps on my forehead. So now I have started packing my shower stuff with me to the gym and shower before I leave.

If I got a sample bar and noticed something different that my normal soap doesnt do I might switch. But for me to just go out and by a bar because it is marketed as MMA or fightsoap. I just cant see it.

wvdmc
3/21/2011 12:52pm,
Head and Shoulders kills fungus with zinc, these soaps kill fungis with eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil. So while it may or may not do it better, it does do it differently. I think the biggest benefit to using one of these soaps over dandruff shampoo as a body wash is even without the fungus fighting stuff in them, they are high quality soaps. They are much better than the bars of detergent you buy at the store, these soaps haven't had the glycerin harvested out of them, among other things.

I make soap as a hobby, and I gave one of my bars to my old MMA coach. He fell in love with it, said it cleared up his bacne and kept his skin from drying out, and he felt cleaner after using it than the storebought soaps. It's not that it's handmade, it's that it's made with higher quality fats and the good stuff isn't harvested out of it to make skin lotions and stuff. These fighter soaps are done much the same way, though I'm pretty sure Fight Soap is made with glycerin soap base bought from the hobby store and they just melt it, color it, and add the anti fungal oils. Still, better than store bought soaps.

chokeu2
3/21/2011 1:36pm,
Head and Shoulders kills fungus with zinc, these soaps kill fungis with eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil. So while it may or may not do it better, it does do it differently. I think the biggest benefit to using one of these soaps over dandruff shampoo as a body wash is even without the fungus fighting stuff in them, they are high quality soaps. They are much better than the bars of detergent you buy at the store, these soaps haven't had the glycerin harvested out of them, among other things.

I make soap as a hobby, and I gave one of my bars to my old MMA coach. He fell in love with it, said it cleared up his bacne and kept his skin from drying out, and he felt cleaner after using it than the storebought soaps. It's not that it's handmade, it's that it's made with higher quality fats and the good stuff isn't harvested out of it to make skin lotions and stuff. These fighter soaps are done much the same way, though I'm pretty sure Fight Soap is made with glycerin soap base bought from the hobby store and they just melt it, color it, and add the anti fungal oils. Still, better than store bought soaps.

That is a very interesting perspective wv. And good to hear at the same time.

So, if you weren't making your own soap, you'd advocate a bar like Fight Soap or Defense Soap?

And on that note, you've peaked my interest... :-) What would one need to get started making a simple soap like Defense Soap, at home?

Ming Loyalist
3/21/2011 2:55pm,
I make soap as a hobby

tyler? tyler durden? is that you?

wvdmc
3/22/2011 1:26pm,
That is a very interesting perspective wv. And good to hear at the same time.

So, if you weren't making your own soap, you'd advocate a bar like Fight Soap or Defense Soap?

And on that note, you've peaked my interest... :-) What would one need to get started making a simple soap like Defense Soap, at home?

Yeah I think Fight Soap or Defense Soap would definitely be worth it. It'll help fight fungus infections which is great, but you'll also notice a difference in how clean it gets you and the condition of your skin.

You could make it one of two ways. You can get a pre-made glycerin soap base and add the essential oils and colors and fragrances, or you can saponify your own fats and make your own base.

Using a pre-made base is easy, you just melt it in a double boiler, add your ingredients when it cools down a bit, and throw it in a mold. It's called melt and pour base and you can find it anywhere pretty much. http://www.teachsoap.com/mp.html I think this is how Fight Soap makes their soap, because it's transparent like melt and pour soap.

To make your own base, all you need is fat, which can be animal fat or vegetable fat like olive oil or coconut oil, and lye. I use a mixture of tallow, coconut oil, and olive oil. I get suet from a local meat processing plant, they just give it to me in 50 pound boxes, and render it into tallow. This makes my soap really cheap to make :) You will need to find a lye to fat table and do some calculating to figure out how much lye you need, http://home.earthlink.net/~skinesscentuals/LyeTable.htm You will mix the lye with some water

Then you melt the fats, wait until the lye and fats get to a certain temperature, put them together, add the lye, stir using a stick blender until it starts to trace (thicken), add your other ingredients like coloring, oils, fragrances, exfoliants, etc., then pour it into a mold. Wrap the mold in a towel and let it cure for about two weeks, and that's it! This is called cold process and you can find a ton of info on Google about it http://thesoapbar.blogspot.com/2008/02/birch-barks-cold-process-soap-tutorial.html

jnp
3/22/2011 3:14pm,
Fight soap is a good ideal trying to hope on the MMA money train but I see it as being gimicky. There are tons of normal soaps on the market that kills this and fights that that are a lot cheaper than Fight soap.

I think if you shower right after trainning use a good facial wash and shampoo you should be find. I have only been doing BJJ and Muay Thai for two weeks now and have noticed I started getting lil small acne like bumps on my forehead. So now I have started packing my shower stuff with me to the gym and shower before I leave.

If I got a sample bar and noticed something different that my normal soap doesnt do I might switch. But for me to just go out and by a bar because it is marketed as MMA or fightsoap. I just cant see it.
You know about MRSA, right? One of our guys caught it training in California.

You've been training on the mat for how long again?

That's rhetorical question by the way.

Defense Soap
3/29/2011 9:47pm,
Of course I think this is a great thread. 6 years ago when I created Defense Soap you would never find combat athletes having such discussions. We have 2 missions at Defense 1. Protect combat athletes and 2. Educate combat athletes through awareness. This thread is proof that we have come a long way towards reaching our goals. We actually sparked an industry that now protects combat athletes.

A couple tips for those making their own soap.
1. Cut colors and perfumes. They only take up space in the bar that could be better used for active ingredients. We have no perfumes or dyes in Defense....just pure soap.
2. Make sure you are absolutely consistent with your formula. When Defense was a homemade hand cut bar we noticed streaks and swirls. This really pointed out to us that this method of soap making when such high risks were at stake was not prudent on our part. Defense is made in a FDA approved facility which ensures consistency.
3. Remind yourself why you are making this soap....if you are looking for a pretty smelling frilly soap you missed the point of why these soaps are even needed.

Wrestlers years ago used the dandruff shampoos to defeat fungal infections. These shampoos absolutely will provide this protection however there are many bacterial infections that we also have to protect ourselves from such as Staph, MRSA and Impetigo. The dandruff shampoos will not help you here. We learned this the hard way.

For a free sample of Defense Soap email us at [email protected] ([email protected]) with your full name and address and we will shoot you one right out. I encourage you to ask the same from our competitors so that you can do your own comparison.

Guy
Defense Soap